Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

sigma 150mm macro with stabeliser

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

sigma 150mm macro with stabeliser

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    does anybody uses this lens on FX? how is the stabeliser working? Do you get a sharpfocus with this lens and how is the focusspeed? Would you recommend this lens

     

     

    rob

  2. I would add the question - what about the Sigma 180mm f/2,8 macro, which also has image stabilization?

     

    The Canon 180mm f/3.5 lens has very slow autofocus, and gets mixed reviews on wetpixel. Nevertheless some people use it. The same is true for the Nikon 200mm f/4 macro.

     

    The Sigma 150 or 180, are f/2.8, and are new so maybe they have reasonable autofocus. The stabilization should help too.

  3. I have the sigma 150mm with no OS. It focus really fast, it does not "grow" when focusing and it is very sharp... I know Alex Mustard has it (I bought mine after seeing his), so maybe you can ask him about FX use (I would think it is a more versatile/useful lens in FX behaving as a shorter lens than in DX).

  4. I've always really liked the Sigma 150mm. On DX it can be a bit long at times, but on FX it is just like a DX 105mm (how times have changed - a few years ago we used to give 35mm film equivalents, now we give DX equivalents!). It is often best used with a dioptre - my usually has a Canon 500D (lens) on most of the time. I have always found it very sharp and gives a very pleasing bokeh - certainly compared with non-AFS Nikon macro lenses. I have the older non-stabilised version.

     

    That said, it is currently out of my travelling camera bag. Simply because it is easier to travel with the 105mm and 1.7x TC, especially because I use DX for macro when I can making the 150 a specialist rather than general macro lens choice.

     

    Overseas underwater photography's loss is home photography's gain! It is a very popular lens with land macro photographers and that is what I am using it for at the moment. I hope to get it underwater regularly again this year (and should do when I am home in May) and if luggage allowances were unlimited I would surely travel with it all the time.

     

    Here are some orchids I photographed with the lens yesterday (with apologies for posting above water images):

     

    post-713-1333900535.jpg

     

    Alex

  5. Thank you Alex,

     

     

    just the information I needed

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.