Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Small octopus

Started by Bent C ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Small octopus

3 posts
  1. I saw three to four small octopus while night diving in the Tulamben area. They were around two-three cm long. I think they were the same species, but have no idea which. Anyone?

     

     

    post-6658-1334160177.jpg

     

     

    post-6658-1334160191.jpg

  2. Hi Brent,

     

    it looks to me like they are some, not so hairy, Hairy Octopus (Octopus sp.1). They have some distinctive protuberances

    and markings that match images I've seen. Liquidguru has a great video of one that shows it at many different angles.

     

    Great find and shots!

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. Thanks. I was hoping for the hairy, but found it quite bald for being hairies. However, the marking around the eyes certainly seem to fit. So maybe.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.