It is time to upgrade from my D200 setup. I was looking for any advice D800 or D7000. Any thoughts would be well received.
- 9Posts
- 9Replies
Read-only discussion
D800 or D7000
-
-
It is time to upgrade from my D200 setup. I was looking for any advice D800 or D7000. Any thoughts would be well received.
1/500th second flash synch possible with D800 used as DX, see http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45896&hl=
-
I'm in almost the same position, trying to decide which one I want.
D7000 is cheaper and smaller, D800 with 36 Mpx full frame and the latest technology seems like the winner at the moment.
But still some months left to think it over.
-
But then Nikon are possibly going to announce a D400 (or D500). It's the same old story the longer you wait the more technology you get, but what do you do in the meantime?
I am going to wait until later in the summer before I make a decision about upgrading for the D200.
-
As a DX camera the D800 has only marginally less megapixels than the D7000, but is probably better pixel for pixel. So the DX image quality from each is at least comparable. The D800 has better AF and flash synch. Plus you can use it as a 36MP FX camera too. It is more expensive and housings are more expensive (when they come) and it is bigger and heavier. But in terms of system cost, those are relatively small price increases for big spec increases. Alex
-
Well after spending 6 hours talking to anyone and everyone at the Long Beach scuba show also getting to touch the both cameras in the same manufactures housing(Nauticam). I have decided to go with the D7000 this time around. While the D800 has a few things that i would love to have the overall expense to out fit the D800 with new glass and the expense of buying two D800 bodies is just too much to overcome for a hobby. The CFO, my wife, just cannot approve such a expense to only use it 3-4 weeks a year. Thanks to everyone that added insight to this process. Now to start the process of housings for my D7000 but that is another post. Thanks again.

-
One point that came out of my D4 review that is relevant is that in DX mode the D800 viewfinder is considerably smaller than the D7000.
Alex
-
Alex,
The D4 review was fabulous. Those pictures! what can one say but WOW. I only wish I could make a living shooting pictures like you post. Thanks for the viewfinder info. I had read that but did not put 2 and 2 together. I must be getting old.
-
D800 for sure.