Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus Housing PT050

Started by Coralpete ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus Housing PT050

6 posts
  1. Hi - you might have read that I am going for a Oly ZX1. At the moment Ikelite will check my DS125 regarding full TTL capabilities. Alternatively I am looking for the Oly housing PT50.

    Hopefully someone used it and has experiences to share with me.

     

    Can I use additional Macro lenses like Subsee etc.

    What UW Flash would you recommend? As much as I have seen the PT0505 has no connector/plug for any external Flashes.

     

    Hope you can help me. Many thanks

     

    Peter

  2. The PT50 is a very good housing at it's price point. The buttons work well for cold and warm water divers and there are many good handle/tray options. As you probably noted this housing has a "max" depth of 130fsw. Unlike many housings in this class it even has a hotshoe on the housing. It requires you have strobes that are optically fired. For strobes there is no replacement for power and two are better than one. While cameras seem to come and go strobes you keep "forever", lol. So you want to buy the very best strobes your budget can allow. Many buy the Sea&Sea YS02 with this housing and camera, the 110a or even the new D1 would be even better. (still waiting for the D1 strobes to ship)

     

    A wide variety of external Macro and Wide angle lenses can be used on this housing. Hope that helps.

  3. Yes it does - many thanks.

     

    To be clear and I hope I understood this correctly. You need a Flash in Slave funtion which gets the signal from the internal Oly Camera.

    The only disadvantage I see is the missing TTL function and the powerconsumption I have in the camera?

    In fact it's a bigger one I actually thought off.

     

    I agree the housing looks good to me as well as the descritions / signs of each button. Which I miss with the Ikelite.

    And it's much cheaper.

     

    Really not sure what to go for - PT050 or Ikelite ?

     

    P

  4. Yes it does - many thanks.

     

    To be clear and I hope I understood this correctly. You need a Flash in Slave funtion which gets the signal from the internal Oly Camera.

    The only disadvantage I see is the missing TTL function and the powerconsumption I have in the camera?

    In fact it's a bigger one I actually thought off.

     

    I agree the housing looks good to me as well as the descritions / signs of each button. Which I miss with the Ikelite.

    And it's much cheaper.

     

    Really not sure what to go for - PT050 or Ikelite ?

     

    P

     

     

    I have the XZ-1 + PT-050 with Inon D2000, my daughter use it, no problem for (s)TTL even M mode; but she always use manual for much better control.

    I also have YS-01, ufortunately the (S)TTL is not compatible with XZ-01, but work fine in manual - so, if you're in budget, get the YS-02; same power as YS-01 but no (S)TTL and no focus lamp.

  5. I just bought that camera and oly housing to replace a flooded G-!0. :-(

     

    While I haven't used it yet I can tell you that Keri will be making an adapter for me so I can use my subsee +10 with it. I use an Inon S-2000 strove and it will work in sTTL mode with the camera in either program or manual modes.

     

    Did a lot of research and asked questions from several uw photo friends/instructors before getting the camera and housing.... so all I have to do know is wait for a trip I'm leading down to the Turks + Caicos this June to use it and see how everything works out!! :)

     

    BTW.... you can set the power of the camera's flash really low to conserve the battery and it will still synch and set off the strobe. Actually, quite a nice feature

    Edited by seafan
  6. Any experiece of WA wet lenses? Which lenses work and which work really good?

     

    The 67mm thread gives many option, for example olympus wa used with the classical x0x0 cameras and many other makes.

     

    Cheers

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.