Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Question re Tokina 10-17mm

Started by ScubaDuck ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Question re Tokina 10-17mm

7 posts
  1. Greetings all-

     

    I am trying to decide whether to purchase the original or updated version of the Tokina 10-17mm lens. (Updated version discussed here) I was planning to purchase the Updated "NH" version, thinking that new and improved = better. When I tried to order, B&H sent me an e-mail indicating that the NH version is not in stock, and the manufacturer is providing no time estimate as to when it might be available.

     

    The lens will be used on a Canon 7D, so I am less concerned about the improved angle of view for FX sensors, but I was intrigued by the improved lens coating and not having a lens hood to worry about needing to shave off. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to wait if the manufacturer is never going to get the product to market.

     

    So my questions for the Wetpixelers are:

    1) When used on a cropped sensor camera, does the NH version offer any significant advantages over the original?

     

    2) Have any of you industry insiders heard anything about when the NH version might be available?

     

    3) Should I just suck it up and buy the Canon fisheye for twice the price?

     

    Thanks in advance-

    ScubaDuck

  2. Regarding your 2nd question, I see that Reef Photo and Backscatter have that lens on their listings. You can check with them to see if they have it in stock.

  3. not having a lens hood to worry about needing to shave off.

     

    Why do you want to shave off the hood when you are using Canon 7D?

  4. Greetings all-

     

    I am trying to decide whether to purchase the original or updated version of the Tokina 10-17mm lens. (Updated version discussed here) I was planning to purchase the Updated "NH" version, thinking that new and improved = better. When I tried to order, B&H sent me an e-mail indicating that the NH version is not in stock, and the manufacturer is providing no time estimate as to when it might be available.

     

    The lens will be used on a Canon 7D, so I am less concerned about the improved angle of view for FX sensors, but I was intrigued by the improved lens coating and not having a lens hood to worry about needing to shave off. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to wait if the manufacturer is never going to get the product to market.

     

    So my questions for the Wetpixelers are:

    1) When used on a cropped sensor camera, does the NH version offer any significant advantages over the original?

     

    2) Have any of you industry insiders heard anything about when the NH version might be available?

     

    3) Should I just suck it up and buy the Canon fisheye for twice the price?

     

    Thanks in advance-

    ScubaDuck

     

    Has anyone used this pre-shaved lens on a FF camera? How is the quality compared to the regular 10-17 mm Tokina FE? I compared my DX Tokina to the 16 mm Nikkor FE and concluded that the DX Tok is optically not good enough for my D800. So i was thinking of getting the Sigma 15 mm FE beause it can focus close, but if the pre-shaved Tok is as good as the Sigma, i'd prefer to go for the Tok.

     

    Udo

  5. Kannjihun- I don't know that I will ever need to shave the hood. That's one of the reasons I am asking- I have seen others discussing shaving the hood to avoid contact with the dome, so I know it is a concern for some. I don't know that it will ever be a concern for me, and may not be a reason to favor the newer model. Anyone with a 7D have issues with the hood on the DX model?

     

    Operam- Good point! Based on past experience, I assumed that if B&H didn't have it, no one would. Will check with Backscatter today. I must say, the fact that the newer version is not readily available from the manufacturer does make me wonder of there is a problem with the newer models. Like Udo asked- Anyone with the "NH" model care to compare image/ build quality with the older version?

     

    -ScubaDuck

    Edited by ScubaDuck
  6. I'm using Canon 7D with Nauticam housing, and I don't think APS-C camera like 7D would need to shave off the hood since it aren't gonna appear in the frame at any zoom range anyway.

     

    My 10-17 Tokina is the older version. Even though it wouldn't help much, but the lens hood kinda gives me somewhat secure feeling that at least there is still some protection for the lens while I am shooting on land since the lens is not 'flat' like other zoom lens. Have been shooting with both mini dome and 8.5" dome, and there has not been any issue with the hood touching the dome as well.

  7. Thanks kannjihyun- Perhaps I will just go with the older version then.

     

    -Scubaduck

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.