Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

My first UW shots

Started by jwood1 ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

My first UW shots

12 posts
  1. I have been an amateur above-water photographer all my life, and finally took the plunge, so to speak, on a sailing trip to the BVIs. I had a Canon S90 and bought an Ikelite housing for it. I decided to go simple at first and shot available light while free-diving. Here are my two favorites: an octopus was nice enough to pose for me.

     

    7121551943_034155d2fa.jpg

    BVI sailing 2011_1343_octopus1 by blues_sailor53, on Flickr

     

     

    6975471742_8ef2ce6a4e.jpg

    BVI sailing 2011_1344_octopus2 by blues_sailor53, on Flickr

     

     

    Canon Powershot S90, Ikelite housing, 28mm, no wet lens. Image shot while free diving in the BVIs, 15 ft depth, available light, 1/160, F4.0, ISO 200. Shot in RAW, post processed in ACR.

  2. Welcome to the world of underwater photography. As you can tell, it can drian the purse quickly - but of SO worth it. Nice job wiith you first shots. I really like the second one. Looking forward to seeing more of your shots in the future.

     

    Happy diving - DiverPam

  3. Beautiful color, solid focus. Congrats. Your positioning works for these photos. Remember that it is often best to get slightly below your subject, thus, slightly shooting upward.

    Steve

  4. not bad for first shots :)

  5. Well done and welcome to the Madness! :)

  6. Nice job wiith you first shots ! and want to learn from you because I'm a still a neophyte in uw photography!

  7. Second shot is really cool!

  8. Nice work!

  9. Better than my first shots, that's for sure.

  10. Really lovely shots ... well done and like the others, look forward to seeing more! :lol:

  11. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I was lucky that this octopus decided to pose for me. He sat on a rock, and I was able to dive down and take several pictures of him. Shooting in raw made it easy to fix the color balance in ACR. I learned a lot from reading this forum. Thanks.

  12. A good place to start your underwater photography experience is in the safer and manageable confines of a swimming pool. You can learn how to handle the camera in a wet environment; and if it falls to the bottom of the pool, then you don’t have far to go to retrieve it. Use your friends or family members as practice subjects. Shoot images from various angles above the water, at the water line, and then underwater.

     

    Get more tips from the following articles :

     

    http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Nikon-School/fu02mcno/1/Underwater-Photography.html

     

    http://www.photographytalk.com/photography-articles/677-photography-tiphow-to-introduce-yourself-to-underwater-photography

     

    Hope you will some good tips for underwater photography from the articles.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.