Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Filming in the surf - DSLR vs camcorder

Started by tunafish ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Filming in the surf - DSLR vs camcorder

1 posts
  1. What about using DSLR's for filming in the water? Are they valid?

     

    What about auto focus & tracking? When shooting with a wideangle / fisheye I guess using the right hyperfocal distance shouldn't give you a problem, right?

    What about the famous DSLR rolling shutter plague when panning? Is that something to consider?

    And how do you stabilize the DSLR for filming in the water? Holding it up with the pistol grip would give you very shaky footage..

    One should at least use some kind of fig rig I guess.

     

    I am eyeballing the new Sony PJ740 (other models are PJ760V, CX760V, PJ710V (US) and PJ740VE, CX740VE, CX730V (EUR)) In the Pro line there is the HXR-NX30.

    All these videocamera's share the new BALANCED Optical Steady Shot, which mechanically compensates the whole camera block for vibrations.

    https://www.google.it/search?q=sony+balance...ical+steadyshot

    I've seen footage filmed from an RC helicopter and the vibrations the cam eliminates is truly impressive. No more Lock 'n Load rendering in post production.

    I hear the stabilizer is phenomenal and I think that this technology would be very useful filming in the surf or sports in general.

     

    Than there is the AVCHD 2.0 codec which shoots full 1080p videos at 50/60fps, which is good for 50% slow motion, but also a good base for retiming (FCPX optical flow or plugins like Twixtor)

     

     

    So these 2 features (stabilizer & high framerates) has to be giving up when considering a DSLR for filming.

    But a DSLR means also less gear because you can share stills with video: lenses, housing etc.

     

    For the camcorder another concern is the housing..

    There is Sony's Sportpack, very cheap, $300. I hear mixed experiences though.

    Some guy claims to use it in big surf in Hawaii without problems, another says they are terrible.

    I found 2 more "budget housings":

     

    # Aquatix Aquacam - $600

    12mm thick plastic shell and two 0.5-inch thick optical-grade cast acrylic ports

    electronic control with a penetration-free magnetic switching: start/stop, zoom wide/telephoto, and power on/off trough Sony's LANC port

    # Equinox Recon - $200

    Just an acrylic tube with only a mechanical start/stop button. Equinox makes quality diving housing though and this is their budget model

     

    Using a DSLR for filming would beat 2 flies at once and at least in a real surf housing (SPL or Luiquid Eye)

    I am a Nikon guy with the D300 - no video, but it looks like an upgrade D400 will come soon with 720p60fps video.

    At least that's what the just released D3200 does and that's the cheapest model of them all.

     

     

    So I would appreciate any tips/ thoughts/ concerns/ experiences using a DSLR camera for shooting surf.

    Cheers!

    Edited by tunafish
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.