Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Fisheye and Macro lens for D800 advice

Started by voets ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Fisheye and Macro lens for D800 advice

4 posts
  1. I'm going to upgrade from my sony a350 / ikelite kit to Nikon D800 / Hugyfot

     

    Since this will be my first nikon camera I'd like to get some advice on which lenses to get.

     

    I'd like to start with a fisheye and 60mm macro lens, since those are the ones I'm used to on Sony

     

    For fisheye there's the Nikon 16mm f2.8 and the Sigma 15mm f2.8

    Sigma is slightly cheaper and has closest focus of 15 cm versus 25 for the Nikon

     

    For the macro I see the

    Nikkor AF-S 60mm F/2.8 G Micro ED

    and

    Nikkor AF-D 60mm f/2.8 Micro

    similar in pricing, both 1:1, one being just smaller than the other

     

    there's also the Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

     

    any thoughts on the best combination?

  2. I would personally go with the sigma FE because of the close focus distance.

    If you are used to a 60mm in your APS camera I would get a 105mmVR instead of a 60mm (as the angle of view would be somewhat the same)... If you are still decided to get a 60mm there are some things you need to know:

     

    60mm AF-S: Does not grow when focusing, fast focusing, does not work with teleconverters.

    60mm AF-D: Grows when focusing, slower focusing, works with TCs (1.4x and 2x...)

     

    Both are very good in image quality.

  3. thanks!

     

    I was just reading that the AF-S are the newer design lenses, and that the macro AF-S has a special focus motor. combined with the fact that it does not grow when focussing I think that will be my choice

     

    I'm used to a 50mm macro on 1.5x cropfactor now, so that's like a 75mm macro full frame. Kind of inbetween the 60mm and 105mm for nikon

  4. I got a Nikon AFS after trying David's a few years ago. Alex

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.