Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nautican 7D shutter is totally loose (help?)

Started by echeng ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nautican 7D shutter is totally loose (help?)

4 posts
  1. Hello, all. The spring on my Nauticam 7D shutter broke on my last trip, but the shutter still worked—I just had to back it off manually between shots, which I got used to quickly. However, I lent the housing to a friend, and while he was pool testing it, he heard a "loud click" while activating the shutter, and after that, the shutter started behaving very strangely.

     

    Here's the description:

     

    I was taking pictures and pushing the shutter release back away after each shot as you instructed, but one time when i pushed it back i heard a loud click and then the shutter release didn't work properly anymore after that. I could get it to work again after fiddling with it and pushing it forward and back, but not it could go too far forward and back. i am not sure exactly what is happening when it does start working again though.

     

    Here a video of the shutter:

     

     

    Does anyone know if there is a service center in Los Angeles that can take a look at this TODAY? He's leaving tomorrow for Palau...

    Thank you!

  2. Hi Eric,

    Can you have him send a pic of the internal part of the shutter mechanism to us at innovation@nauticamusa.com? Possible we can walk him through adjusting it but the "loud click" might indicate otherwise.

     

    Regards,

    Cp

    Edited by Cp
  3. I had a problem with my shutter control shaft coming lose on my Naticam 7D housing during dives. I had to take apart one of the housing gear mechanisms to tighten a tiny screw at the end of the shutter control shaft. After doing this a few times, I finally put some blue loctite on that little screw and I haven't had any issues with it over the past 18 months.

  4. With both my NA-7Ds I found that the length of some of the set screws was too short and only engaged for less than two turns with the threaded holes. I identified appropriate and longer replacements on Ebay. Could it be the loud click you experienced was caused by leverage impinging on the short stock screws?

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.