Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus PEN-EPL3 vs Sony NEX-5N - Help required

Started by timnicholsoniom ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus PEN-EPL3 vs Sony NEX-5N - Help required

9 posts
  1. I currently use a Canon G10 in an Ikelite housing with a single DS-125 strobe. I have the WD-4 wide angle adapter (which I’m not very impressed with) and the M67 adapter and Inon UCL-330 and UCL-165 macro lenses (which I am impressed with). I use the camera year-round mainly in UK waters, with occasional trips abroad. I like the flexibility the wet-lenses provide, and the fact I can operate the Ikelite housing and strobe with gloves that cold water diving requires. I get good macro and close-up results, less good wide angle results.

     

    I am looking to upgrade my set-up. My “requirements” are:

     

    • Improved image quality

    • Improved low light capability

    • Dual strobes for more even lighting

    • Better wide angle capability

    • Equivalent or better macro capability

     

    Short of a DSLR, I had been considering the following two options, with what I consider to be the pros and cons.

     

    Olympus PEN-EPL3 in Olympus with dual Sea&Sea YS-01 and an Inon UWL-H100

    Pros: Underwater flexibility; compatibility with the Inon UCL-330 and UCL-165 macro lenses; price (my estimate ~£2.5K inc. strobes)

    Cons: Use with gloves; sensor size (micro 4/3); 40m limit; lack of eTTL

     

    Sony NEX-5N in e.g. Nauticam with dual Sea&Sea YS-01

    Pros: Sensor size (APS-C); camera capability; flexibility for choice prior to diving

    Cons: Lack of underwater flexibility (i.e. stuck with lens chosen prior to dive); lack of eTTL; price (my estimate >£3.5K inc. strobes)

     

    (The Panasonic GX1 & Nauticam NA-GX1 is another option, but I have done little research into this)

     

    I’m pretty sure that I have decided on dual Inon S2000s, which I think are compatible with each option, but I do have a concern over my ability to use these with 3mm gloves on.

     

    Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on which I should choose?

     

    Thanks in advance.

     

    Tim Nicholson

  2. Have you read the reviews of the new Olympus OM-D? No housing yet, but the camera looks very promising.

  3. Some of my observations on NEX-5N.

  4. The omd/em5 is a killer system, and oly has already announced their own housing, which is about the same quality as ike housings..

     

    Phil Rudin commented on the em5 versus nex7! over at scubaboard:

     

    http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-o...tml#post6340612

     

    A good read. For underwater, Sony does not have enough lenses yet, nor are the lenses in the pipeline.

     

    The panasonic and oly lenses for micro 4/3 are really good, and cover all the tradeoffs of quality and price, that you could ask for.

  5. I had the same dilemma when upgrading from my S95. Two thoughts:

     

    1) The m4/3 lens universe is much better than the Sony range, as Derway & others have pointed out. In particular many of the available 4/3 lenses are well suited to UW photography. Also there are more lenses under active development

    2) Re the depth rating: the Oly housing is 'only' rated to 40m, true. But personally I find photography a challenge when I am past 30m, and I cannot imagine taking photos past 40m. It's a task loading issue given how attentive I have to be to gas, deco obligations, buddy etc at that depth. So I don't think the 40m rating is an issue, at least for me personally. I understand that other divers will want to do this.

     

    I ended up going with the PEN E-PL3, Oly housing, Precision dome & single YS-01 strobe (for now). I find the buttons on the Oly housing easy to operate through my 5mm gloves.

     

    Phil

  6. The em5 housing is rated to 45, and reports are folks taking down the same rated housings to 55-60 no troubles...

  7. Have you read the reviews of the new Olympus OM-D? No housing yet, but the camera looks very promising.

     

    Thanks for your suggestion. I hadn't read any reviews, but have now. This does look like a serious contender! More headache :-)

     

    I had the same dilemma when upgrading from my S95. Two thoughts:

     

    1) The m4/3 lens universe is much better than the Sony range, as Derway & others have pointed out. In particular many of the available 4/3 lenses are well suited to UW photography. Also there are more lenses under active development

    2) Re the depth rating: the Oly housing is 'only' rated to 40m, true. But personally I find photography a challenge when I am past 30m, and I cannot imagine taking photos past 40m. It's a task loading issue given how attentive I have to be to gas, deco obligations, buddy etc at that depth. So I don't think the 40m rating is an issue, at least for me personally. I understand that other divers will want to do this.

     

    I ended up going with the PEN E-PL3, Oly housing, Precision dome & single YS-01 strobe (for now). I find the buttons on the Oly housing easy to operate through my 5mm gloves.

     

    Phil

     

    Hi Phil. Thanks for the response. I have been "informed" that the Sea&Sea sTTL is unreliable with the Oly - how are you finding it? Tim

     

    Some of my observations on NEX-5N.

     

    Very interesting - thank you.

  8. The omd/em5 is a killer system, and oly has already announced their own housing, which is about the same quality as ike housings..

     

    Phil Rudin commented on the em5 versus nex7! over at scubaboard:

     

    http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/olympus-o...tml#post6340612

     

    A good read. For underwater, Sony does not have enough lenses yet, nor are the lenses in the pipeline.

     

    The panasonic and oly lenses for micro 4/3 are really good, and cover all the tradeoffs of quality and price, that you could ask for.

     

    Hi derway. This is not an option I had even considered. It certainly does look very interesting - although I'm not sure I'd "push" a 45m rated housing to 60m with an £1,100 camera inside it :-) Tim

     

    The OM-D EM-5 has definitely generated more "lust" than the PEN EPL-3 :-)

  9. Hi Phil. Thanks for the response. I have been "informed" that the Sea&Sea sTTL is unreliable with the Oly - how are you finding it? Tim

     

    I have heard that too, but I only ever use it on manual settings. I must be a luddite when it comes to TTL.

     

    Just a bonus note on lust: if I were buying it all today I would go for the EM-5 for sure, no question. But I am happy with the E-PL3.

    Edited by philwat44@gmail.com
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.