Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nex 7/Nex 5 nauticam question

Started by robovet ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nex 7/Nex 5 nauticam question

4 posts
  1. Just received a Nex7 and nauticam. I would like to know if anyone out there that has experience with the nex 5 or 7 could suggest a starting point for the autofocus settings when using the nex cameras UW. Center or multispot ? Continuous or single ? Tracking ? Thanks for any comments --

     

    Marc

    www.robovet.net

  2. Hi Marc I bought a Nex5 and Aquatica housing last year. Definitely use Centre focus with single mode, continuous focus seems to hunt around and also uses battery life. On the whole I use centre focus and then just crop slightly to balance the subject in the frame. I've had great success with manual mode and just rely on strobe to light the subject. The only challenge has been minimum focus distance on smaller subjects so I have just purchased the Sony 35mm macro and while this is very short focal length does give you focusing right up to the lens so looks promising. Can't wait to get in the water with it!

  3. Hi Marc I bought a Nex5 and Aquatica housing last year. Definitely use Centre focus with single mode, continuous focus seems to hunt around and also uses battery life. On the whole I use centre focus and then just crop slightly to balance the subject in the frame. I've had great success with manual mode and just rely on strobe to light the subject. The only challenge has been minimum focus distance on smaller subjects so I have just purchased the Sony 35mm macro and while this is very short focal length does give you focusing right up to the lens so looks promising. Can't wait to get in the water with it!

     

     

    Thanks Paul !!

  4. I think it depends on your subject matter. Continuous track if you have a moving subject, single point if nothing moving.

     

    Just jump in, play around in benign water conditions and see what works best for you :D

     

    Alex

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.