Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DIY XL dome

Started by fish ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY XL dome

3 posts
  1. I'm interested in making my own giant dome for taking split O/U photos in situations where my 9" dome is unable to handle. I'm curious to hear if someone has any experience in this and is willing to share!

  2. I have some experience with making domes. How big of a dome are you looking to make? What lens do you plan to use? Can you elaborate on "taking split O/U photos in situations where my 9" dome is unable to handle" ? What Kind of assistance / advise are you looking for?

     

    Thanks

  3. Thanks Bill.

    My current set up is a 15mm fish eye and a 9" dome. I have been trying to take a split level photos at water level in moving water. My 9" dome works fine for this purpose in completely still water, but in rivers etc this is quite difficult. I'm note sure about how large is enough so I would appreciate any thoughts and/or experience on this.

     

    As the sole purpose of the dome would be to take photos at the surface I imagine that it would not have to be as robust. Having a large dome in moving water might though open up new problems such as lack of pressure to keep the port tight... Anyway I thought this might be challenging project and found it likely that this had been done by many!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.