Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wide Angle Dilema

Started by matt215 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide Angle Dilema

4 posts
  1. Ok I've got a 5d mark 2 (full frame sensor) and a 7d (cropped sensor). Would it be better to use the 5d with full frame and a17-40 or 15 mm fisheye, OR use the tokinab10-17 fisheye on the cropped sensor 7d? I've just heard so many good things about the tokens lens that it might be the way to go.

  2. It really depends on what you are shooting. The tokina is nice but not so great if you want a rectilinear look. 17-40 is very good but sometimes isn't wide enough.

    I personally like the Sigma 8-16 on the Canon crops. Awesome rectilinear lens that does better than it's bigger FF brother 12-24, which is soft on FF cameras.

  3. Matt, Take a look at Udo's pictures comparing the Tokina fisheye zoom to cropped images taken with the Sigma 15mm f2.8 on a full frame sensor camera and then cropped to provide the same overall picture. They are on page 3 of the D800 review. They give you some pretty clear evidence on which to make your choice.

     

    Fred

  4. Mark, I have the same set up as you. That is the 5D mk II and the 17-40mm as well as the fish eye. I find that the corner sharpness is much better the 15mm. The fish eye allows you as well to focus a lot closer to your subject, but I find the focus noticeably slower than on the 17-40mm.

     

    I don't have any experience with the Tokina...

     

    Below are a couple of photos where you can see the corner blur of the 17-40mm (the photo above) and then a picture taken on a second dive with the 15mm showing more sharpness.

     

    965348349_eQJ63-M.jpg

     

    Quest-4284-M.jpg

    Edited by fish
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.