Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

What program do you use to view/sort your pictures?

Started by acroporas ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

What program do you use to view/sort your pictures?

15 posts
  1. What program do you use to view/sort your pictures?

    Subject says it all. I have been using SuperJPG http://www.midnightblue.com/superjpg/index.htm but am not all that happy with it. Looking for something new.

  2. I am using ACDsee version 5.x

     

    I hear from Eric that later versions are not as good.

     

    WindowsXP is not too bad BTW, but do not use the "rotate" feature as it is NOT losless.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  3. ACDSee v5.0 is very good. v6.0 isn't so good.

     

    Here's a discussion on my web site about a few image browsing programs for the PC.

     

    Don't try to use ACDSee to browse Canon .CRW files. It is DOG slow. But BreezeBrowser does a pretty good job.

     

    Neither of them will do 1D/1Ds raw TIF files. They will only show the TIF thumbnail.

  4. iPhoto for now, I won Portfolio at PMA but will wait for the free upgrade to the next version in April before I try it out. I imagine I am in the very small minority of Mac users on this forum.

     

    Keith

  5. I'm a Mac user to.

     

    iPhoto is great! I use GraphicConverter as an external editor for more advanced editing (it has a Panorama Tool plug-in).

  6. I find a lot more Mac users on Digital camera forumns than you might think. I did a trial of Iview Media pro and found it great. Much better than Iphoto and has raw support. Haven't bought it yet as the new Iphoto will arrive with my G5 and I plan on giving it a try first.

  7. Still using iPhoto, though I am looking for RAW support in something that also allows cataloging. Thanks, Dave, I will look at iView Media Pro. I bought Portfolio, but I am struggling with it a bit. Very versatile, but a bit complicated, too. (And we do carry a larger minority here than elsewhere!)

  8. I've been frustrated with iPhoto on the Mac whenever I've touched it. Even the new version, which claims 20,000 photos (or whatever), locked up for two minutes when I touched it at MacWorld. Sure, you can sort of browse through them, but if you stray off the beaten path bad things will happen.

     

    Most of my Mac friends use iView Media Pro.

     

    Portfolio is a horrible browsing environment.

     

    On the PC I can scroll through 10 full-screen 11 megapixel images in 10-15 seconds. That's ALL I WANT on the Mac. Fast, full-screen browsing. Well, there are a few more things as well, but that's an absolute minimum. :)

     

    Raw mode browsing is still slow-ish on the PC. I normally use Breezebrowser or CaptureOne for raw browsing. Neither support full-screen browsing.

  9. The new version of iPhoto has been much more reliable for me and very fast with a catalog of about 4,000 images. iPhoto would be even better if it had RAW support. I too have heard great things about iView Media Pro and will have to try it out. You can download a full version for a free trail period. I tried Portfolio but was disapointed, I found myself spending more time trying to figure out how to do things rather than getting organized. The new version which should be coming out in a this month look good during the demo at PMA but I have my reservations still about ease of use and complexity. One feature I love about iPhoto is the scalable thumbnails. Portfolio did not have this feature which makes it tough when trying to weed out the keepers and loosers.

     

    I will also be giveing the new Canon software that ships with the Mark II at serious try when I get mine...

     

    Keith

  10. I'm using Portfolio on a Mac, but am still on the lookout for something better. It's kludgy in several respects, and doesn't display exif data. Right now I'm using Photoshop CS Browser for many functions. I'm also waiting for the new version, and am also looking at Photo Mechanic 4.

  11. SOFTWARE TO VIEW/SORT FOTOS

    I use Extensis Portfolio 6.

  12. XnView

    I ran across this program, and if I didn't already own BreezeBrowser, I'd try it out for image preview/conversion. I tested it converting Canon raw files to JPG's and it worked well. It claims to read 100 different file formats, including Nikon nef, and writes to 50 different file formats. Best of all its free. Here’s the URL:

    http://www.xnview.com/

  13. I've been trying the browser included with Photoshop CS. Seems pretty nice. Especially since you can use it with CSs excellent raw converter. Trying to decide if I should pay the money for IView Media pro which is the best program I have tried. S

    o far I like the CS browser.

  14. I have tried http://www.xnview.com/ and it reads olympus .orf RAW files but not the thumbnails. otherwise it seems to do everything that Compupic Pro, my previous viewer, does but is free for non-commercial users.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.