Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

My home made-snoots

Started by MortenHansen ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

My home made-snoots

7 posts
  1. Hi everyone!

     

    Have been having a bit of fun with some plumbing parts, electrical tape, some tupperware-boxes and some marine-grade epoxy here is what it ended up with:

     

    The items used to build the strobes:

    Hacksaw, knife, scissors, electrical tape, sandpaper, black spray paint, black straws, epoxy, plumbing parts, cups, tupperware-boxes, male garden-hose couplings.

    post-36000-1338207726.jpg

     

    The parts were cut, sanded and glued to fit, finally a good thick layer of spray-on paint was given

    post-36000-1338207764.jpg

     

    Strobe with finished snoot attached, tripod with ball-adapter, large snoot for CFWA shots

    post-36000-1338207780.jpg

     

    The straws are held together with electrical tape and really helped to direct the light in a nice round and constricted beam

    post-36000-1338207790.jpg

     

    The snoots simply squeze over the front of my Inon strobes, making it easy to remove/replace underwater. I found that for the small snoot the hole for the plumbing pipe had to be off-center and directly above the strobe to get enough light through.

    -The large snoot gives a spot with a 10-15cm diameter

    -The small snoot gives a spot with a 5cm diameter

    -The small snoot with garden-hose coupling inserted gives a spot of 1-2cm

     

    This stuff is pretty easy to make, and a whole lot of fun! The shooting is, lets say challenging, spending 20-60min pr subject until I get the shot I want, with practice hopefully it will go a bit faster :P

     

    Hope this comes in handy to some of you guys out there who wants to get some unique images without spending a lot of money :)

     

    Test shots will come up soon,

    Happy bubbles, Morten.

  2. Here are a couple of shots from my first dives with the black beasts! :P

     

     

    Harlequin Shrimp from the Liberty Wreck, small snoot

    post-36000-1338210098.jpg

     

    Waspfish from Lombok, side/back-lighted with the big snoot

    post-36000-1338210115.jpg

     

    Snake-eel from Lombok w. small snoot

    post-36000-1338210134.jpg

     

    Sea-urchin from Lombok w. small snoot

    post-36000-1338210173.jpg

     

    Nembrotha Kubaryana from our house-reef, w. small snoot

    post-36000-1338210193.jpg

  3. thanx for sharing,

    could you tell us where to get the tools and the size ,thanx

  4. thanx for sharing,

    could you tell us where to get the tools and the size ,thanx

     

    Well, tools I got from the workshop in the diving-center, I think these simple tools you should be able to find in any workshop - if not, drop by your local hardware store, they will have everything you need, I even managed to find this stuff in Bali! :lol:

     

    The sizes, I just took a few bit and pieces of plumbing parts from the shop, fitted them together and tried them out, I think Keri Wilik wrote quite a good guide on snoots and how they spread/reduce the spread of light! :)

     

    Hope you find what you need,

    Morten.

  5. Hi,

    the snoots look very cool - i will try to build one. So i have one question - how did you get the connection between the flash and the tupperboxes? Did you use screws?

     

    cheers,

    Conny

  6. Well, I brought one of my strobes to the hardware store and just looked for something I could squeeze over the top of the strobe- the tupperware that I found was a little too small (a few mm), so I cut some slits in the sides of them, so that the plastic could bend outwards slightly, that did the trick! Remember that if you find something in the shape of a funnel you can simply cut it off at the diameter you want ;)

    -Morten

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.