Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 50mm 1.8 underwater

Started by MortenHansen ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 50mm 1.8 underwater

1 posts
  1. Hi everyone!

     

    Recently I read a post about using the 50mm underwater, everyone sort of thought that it would not be good for uw, and since I had one with me on a recent trip to Lombok, and not having a 60mm with me I decided to try out the 50mm by it self and with a kenko 1.4 teleconverter to see what kind of images I could get out of it.

     

    It is for sure not as versatile as the 60mm macro, but for medium sized subjects I found it quite alright.

     

    Its one of those lenses that almost all of us have (it is pretty damned cheap) and I was just wondering if anyone else uses this lens underwater?

     

    Here are a few examples of the images I got with the nifty-fifty:

     

    Juvenile Batfish swimming under the secret Jetty (50mm)

    post-36000-1338211190.jpg

     

    Estuary Seahorse (50mm+1.4x) (Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I took a photo of this seahorse sitting on an old chain of the jetty, I guess it was startled by the light and started swimming towards the bottom, it was then that I got this shot of it in open water, no touching involved!)

    post-36000-1338211205.jpg

     

    Longhorn cowfish portrait (50mm)

    post-36000-1338211224.jpg

     

    Happy bubbles, Morten.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.