Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon TC-17E II AF-S 1,7x

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon TC-17E II AF-S 1,7x

12 posts
  1. hi,

     

    does this teleconverter from Nikon the Nikon TC-17E II AF-S 1,7x fitt the nikon 105mm 2.8 afs vr and the nikon 70-200 2.8 vrI???

     

     

    Rob

  2. Yes. People often say that it was specifically designed as a partner for the 70-200mm VR1. I use it a lot with the 105mm VR too.

     

    None of the optical shortcomings of the Kenkos.

     

    Alex

  3. None of the optical shortcomings of the Kenkos.

     

    Alex

     

    Question. Would a Nikon TC be better choice than a Kenkos for CFWA?

  4. Question. Would a Nikon TC be better choice than a Kenkos for CFWA?

     

    Nope: Nikon have carefully made them incompatible with wide-angle lenses...

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  5. The Nikon TC's do not work with the Tokina 10-17. But they are really excellent quality - the 2x TC with the 70-200 is phenomenal.

  6. The Nikon TC's do not work with the Tokina 10-17. But they are really excellent quality - the 2x TC with the 70-200 is phenomenal.

     

    I agree. The 3rd generation 2x was supposedly designed specifically for the 70-200mm VR2. I am going to buy one next time it is in stock at my local camera shop.

     

    Alex

  7. I agree. The 3rd generation 2x was supposedly designed specifically for the 70-200mm VR2. I am going to buy one next time it is in stock at my local camera shop.

     

    Alex

     

    It's a stoater: I've used it to turn my 105mm micro lens into a quite nice 210mm telephoto!

     

    Puffins

     

    Tim

     

    :)

    Edited by tdpriest
  8. Nope: Nikon have carefully made them incompatible with wide-angle lenses...

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    I understand now.

     

    Thanks for the clarification,

    Elmer

  9. It's a stoater:

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    ¡Ay cramba! Now we need to understand Scottish expressions?

     

    "England and America are two countries separated by a common language." - GBS

     

    Bob :)

  10. In regards to teleconverters compatibility you can also go to the nikonusa website and it shows you which lens are compatible and if fully functional I.e. can you use autofocus.

    Edited by mreid
  11. In regards to teleconverters compatibility you can also go to the nikonusa website and it shows you which lens are compatible and if fully functional I.e. can you use autofocus.

     

    Strangely enough the site claims:

    Prod. #

     

    Lens Description

     

    TC-14E II

     

    TC-17E II

     

    TC-20E II

     

    TC-20E III

     

    2160

     

    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

     

    AF not possible

    AF not possible

    AF not possible

    AF not possible

    I am using the 105 and TC-20E III and it doesn't have any problems autofocusing (not even during a nightdive). SO I am not 100% sure how accurate the table is. Did anybody else experience any problems with AF?

  12. Strangely enough the site claims:

    Prod. #

     

    I am using the 105 and TC-20E III and it doesn't have any problems autofocusing (not even during a nightdive). SO I am not 100% sure how accurate the table is. Did anybody else experience any problems with AF?

     

    This is basic NCTA (Nikon Covering Their Ass) fine print. A 2x converter on the 105mm pushes the total aperture just above the specs of the "old" autofocus sensor which is good up to f/5.6. I know the math doesn't seem right but actual test show that the real aperture with a converter pushes it beyond the 5.6 mark.

    With the other combinations (1,4 and 1,7) I don't know why they would be listed as non compatible. However the new specs on the D4 and D800, autofocus up to f/8, puts all combinations within specs. I have had no problems using this combination with the D4.

     

    Cheers,

    Espen

    Edited by EspenRekdal
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.