Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Leak detector for housing

Started by nflor001 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Leak detector for housing

9 posts
  1. Anyone have any experience with a leak detector? i have an oly pt-ep06 housing wonder if it would be beneficial to have. Or would it be already too late once the alarm goes off.

  2. Anyone have any experience with a leak detector? i have an oly pt-ep06 housing wonder if it would be beneficial to have. Or would it be already too late once the alarm goes off.

     

    I have had them in both of my Aquatica housings. They are very sensitive and yes, I think they could "potentially" save your system. Most leaks are not "catastrophic"... they are tiny wee things that over the course of a dive could do some serious damage. If the moisture detector goes off early in the dive, you could, in theory, surface and get the camera out of the water... Of course if your dome pops off, you're pooched no matter what.

     

    Having said all of this, fortunately, I've never had a real-life experience to test it. I can trigger mine with a moistened finger across the terminals though, so I know it is very sensitive. My only complaint is that because the thing is "live" all of the time, you need to pull the battery before storing your system away or the battery will be dead when you go to use it again...

    Edited by Stoo
  3. Anyone have any experience with a leak detector? i have an oly pt-ep06 housing wonder if it would be beneficial to have. Or would it be already too late once the alarm goes off.

     

     

    Do you have a lock on your house?

    Is it beneficial?

  4. Anyone have any experience with a leak detector? i have an oly pt-ep06 housing wonder if it would be beneficial to have. Or would it be already too late once the alarm goes off.

    Definitely it is helpful. If you have a catastrophic failure then it won't help, but for a slow/small leak it is very useful.

    Bill

  5. I have always had one and it did save my skin with a slow leak once. As Bill stated, a detector will not help with a complete flood. Always check that the battery for the leak detector is a good one. Some people leave that battery in for so long that the battery is no good. I just lick my finger and put it on the contact. If the alarm goes off, the battery is good but testing it with a battery tester before leaving for a trip is the smarter approach

    Steve

  6. Thanks for everybodys opinion. Will definetly buy one.

  7. I have had them in both of my Aquatica housings. They are very sensitive and yes, I think they could "potentially" save your system. Most leaks are not "catastrophic"... they are tiny wee things that over the course of a dive could do some serious damage. If the moisture detector goes off early in the dive, you could, in theory, surface and get the camera out of the water... Of course if your dome pops off, you're pooched no matter what.

     

    Having said all of this, fortunately, I've never had a real-life experience to test it. I can trigger mine with a moistened finger across the terminals though, so I know it is very sensitive. My only complaint is that because the thing is "live" all of the time, you need to pull the battery before storing your system away or the battery will be dead when you go to use it again...

     

     

    Wolf,

     

    While trying to remove the battery for my Aquatica Leak Detector, I am finding it quite difficult to remove it. I am using a dull plastic piece to get under and between the battery and circuit board but it is held in there so tight that the whole circuit board appears to be lifting. I am affraid to use any kind of jewelers screwdrivers to spread the plastic holding the batter in place on top in fear of breaking it. Any suggestions on how to safely remove the battery?

     

    Thanks in advance

  8. Was using an Oly E330 with 10 bar housing..Red Sea. Just five minutes into the second dive saw this bright flashing light, my heart skipped a beat and i abandoned the dive. No harm done thanks to the leak detector. Just a little water had got in from the front dome port which had not been secured properly. Still cant figure what went wrong. The combination of "sanitary pads"wink.png at the bottom of the housing and the leak detector had saved the day - and my housing/camera :-)

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

  9. While trying to remove the battery for my Aquatica Leak Detector, I am finding it quite difficult to remove it.

     

    It is tricky. I use a small slot/blade screwdriver under the blade. If you look closely, of the two connectors for the battery, only one wraps around the edge of the battery, so it is easier to prise up the other side. On my current housing, the detector is just attached with Velco so it moves a bit. I installed the one on my last housing and put it in with a small screw.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.