Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What's this thingamajobber coming out of the coral?

Started by onewolf ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

What's this thingamajobber coming out of the coral?

6 posts
  1. Photo taken at Sombrero Reef in the FL Keys.

     

    IMG_5215.jpg

  2. Looks more like it's just lying on top of the coral and isn't part of the coral at all. Unidentifiable debris would be my guess.

  3. Looks more like it's just lying on top of the coral and isn't part of the coral at all. Unidentifiable debris would be my guess.

     

    Close up view. It looks to me like it's coming out of the polyp.

     

    IMG_5215a.jpg

  4. Wharever it is, the coral polyp is chowing down on it. If you had stayed, it might have burped and smoked a cigarette when it was done. YUM!!

  5. I agree with Leslie, doesn't (even in the close up) look like it is coming out or going into the coral, looks like it is just laying on top.

     

    My thoughts originally were algae or turtle grass laying on top.

  6. I disagree, the polyp looks like it is eating whatever it is.

     

    I got some poor quality shots of a similar meal

     

    1268990625_3e7e9fac98_o.jpg

     

     

    Almost gone

     

     

    1268990633_c1571de37a_o.jpg

     

     

     

    It looks like one of the critters I refer to as a "bloodworm"....whatever that is..... Was this shot at night? I often shine my lights on such polyps, at night, to feed the polyps with the critters bumping into the lit up coral.

    Edited by AllisonFinch
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.