Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus PEN E-PL1 vs D800 Ikelite

Started by shaundoylephoto ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus PEN E-PL1 vs D800 Ikelite

3 posts
  1. So I didnt know if this was a post for DSLR or Consumer cameras so I just picked this one let me know if I should take the question else where.

     

    To Start I know that the D800 is obviously going to be a better camera. I have a budget since im a broke dive master soon to be instructor. Im a nature photographer on land and know a lot about camera and shooting. Now I dont know a lot about underwater photography so this is why I need help picking a camera that will be right for my situation.

     

    I have a d800 with a nikkor 16mm fisheye and a nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR AF-S. I want to be able to shoot wide angel and Macro so im guessing i will need to get another lens or do both of those work? I have been looking at an Ikilite with 2 sea&sea ys-01's (thats all I will be able to affordable). I have also been able to find a used Olympus E-PL1 and a housing for very cheep with the same strobes (2 sea&sea ys-01's) but if i was to do this i would want/ have to get the 8mm Panasonic fisheye to do wide shoots I also want to do macro with the PEN. After all is said and done the D800 in the Ikilite is only a few $100 more. My main concerns with either choices are

    1. I dont want to risk my new D800
    2. The D800 is not a good start for me as an underwater photographer
    3. Does the PEN with the kit lens do good macro?
    4. I will eventually upgrade to a DSLR any ways so just get one now
    5. I should save the money, because the olympus pen will get the job done
    6. Im over doing it all together and should have 1 strobe no wide angel

    I will be spending 4 months diving and teaching diving in Utila so I will have lots of time to play.

    Thanks Shaun Doyle

    fyi sorry for any really bad spelling

  2. So I didnt know if this was a post for DSLR or Consumer cameras so I just picked this one let me know if I should take the question else where.

     

    To Start I know that the D800 is obviously going to be a better camera. I have a budget since im a broke dive master soon to be instructor. Im a nature photographer on land and know a lot about camera and shooting. Now I dont know a lot about underwater photography so this is why I need help picking a camera that will be right for my situation.

     

    I have a d800 with a nikkor 16mm fisheye and a nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR AF-S. I want to be able to shoot wide angel and Macro so im guessing i will need to get another lens or do both of those work? I have been looking at an Ikilite with 2 sea&sea ys-01's (thats all I will be able to affordable). I have also been able to find a used Olympus E-PL1 and a housing for very cheep with the same strobes (2 sea&sea ys-01's) but if i was to do this i would want/ have to get the 8mm Panasonic fisheye to do wide shoots I also want to do macro with the PEN. After all is said and done the D800 in the Ikilite is only a few $100 more. My main concerns with either choices are

    1. I dont want to risk my new D800
    2. The D800 is not a good start for me as an underwater photographer
    3. Does the PEN with the kit lens do good macro?
    4. I will eventually upgrade to a DSLR any ways so just get one now
    5. I should save the money, because the olympus pen will get the job done
    6. Im over doing it all together and should have 1 strobe no wide angel

    I will be spending 4 months diving and teaching diving in Utila so I will have lots of time to play.

    Thanks Shaun Doyle

    fyi sorry for any really bad spelling

    O also I really like how portable the Olympus would be so thats weight on me to seeing as I travel a lot?

  3. The olympus EM 5 is out and is a 4/3rd as good as many SLRs, but smaller. It is quite expensive (ca. 1100$ / €)

    It only has a 3rd party underwater case now (from 10 bar), but its olympus case will be out by the end of July.

    Obviously, given its price, better not forget to close your case...

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.