My old MBP (2.36Ghz Mid 2009 13.3'') is dying a slow beach balling death and to be honest has never had the processor grunt to do what I need. Being in the US I thought I take advantage of the prices to possibly get a replacement. This coincides with the release of the MacBook Pro retina which complicates my choices.
Now I normally like to get around 5 years out of a laptop so I want to be the best performance reasonable (I am not made of money ![]()
I reckon I have three choices:
1) I could go the cheap short-term option and try and get a couple more years out of my current unit by trying to upgrade the logic board to a more powerful chip set (although this would require new RAM etc). Has anyone done this? Is it possible?
OR for around the same money I could
2) Go a 2.6 GHz MacBook Pro 15'' with 8GB of RAM (which is listed as the maximum although the MBP-R can have 16GB on the same chipset. Any ideas?) With an SSD installed instead of an optical drive, this would give performance matching the MBP-R.
3) A 2.3 GHz MBP retina looks like a high performance machine, but there are limitations. It only comes with 256 SSD internal storage and has limited hardware ports. Gone are the FireWire 800 port that I use a lot on my current MBP, this is replaced by a thunderbolt display, which whilst faster does mean upgrading ancillary gear. The upside is a 0.5 kgs weight saving and an incredible resolution screen.
So questions does anyone have any experience with the MBP-R? Is the weight saving and screen enough to offset its lack of flexibility (it can t be upgraded in any way).
Thanks Erol