Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Using a 5D Mark II in a 5D classic housing (Ikelite)

Started by Kari Post ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Using a 5D Mark II in a 5D classic housing (Ikelite)

4 posts
  1. Is it possible to modify an Ikelite 5D housing to fit a 5D Mark II and/or use a 5D Mark II in a classic 5D housing (Ikelite) with some limitations? What are the primary differences between the two housings?

     

    Thanks!

  2. Is it possible to modify an Ikelite 5D housing to fit a 5D Mark II and/or use a 5D Mark II in a classic 5D housing (Ikelite) with some limitations? What are the primary differences between the two housings?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Kari,

    I'm not an expert on the original 5d but I do have a mark ii ikelite housing. You for sure would be missing the functions for most of the video functions. I also believe the left hand buttons, like menu, info, play button are off slightly. Also the LCD screen is bigger on the mark ii. I would say that doing a retrofit would be difficult if not impossible. Now that the mark iii is out and the housing are coming out....including ikelite, I would expect to see quite a few used ones come up for sale in the next couple months. Just keep an eye out in the classified ads on wetpixel, scubaboard or eBay. Hope that helps.

    Good luckDustin

  3. Hi Kari,

     

    Yes, you can- I've done it and the housing is still working fine. It took a day or so with access to a workshop- details and pics are in this thread

  4. Hi Kari,

     

    Yes, you can- I've done it and the housing is still working fine. It took a day or so with access to a workshop- details and pics are in this thread

     

    WOW! That is impressive! That would scare the hell out of me. Of course, I am not the slightest bit handy. LOL!

     

    Dustin

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.