Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

How long can I keep my housing sealed without affecting the o-rings?

Started by TheDeuce ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

How long can I keep my housing sealed without affecting the o-rings?

8 posts
  1. Hey!

     

    OK, I'm going to be doing some local diving this weekend and the lake we're heading to is remote to say the least (2-3 hours of 4x4ing down the treacherous trails). Since services will be non-existent out there, I want to keep things as simple as possible with my Rebel XTi / Ikelite setup.

     

    Ideally, I want to get everything ready in the comfort and cleanliness of my home, seal up the rig, and keep it sealed until we get back. That would mean 36 hours or so of full-time squeeze on the o-rings. I know not to keep the rings compressed for long-term storage but I don't know what 'long-term' is defined as.

     

    Any thoughts?

     

     

    m.

  2. Hey!

     

    OK, I'm going to be doing some local diving this weekend and the lake we're heading to is remote to say the least (2-3 hours of 4x4ing down the treacherous trails). Since services will be non-existent out there, I want to keep things as simple as possible with my Rebel XTi / Ikelite setup.

     

    Ideally, I want to get everything ready in the comfort and cleanliness of my home, seal up the rig, and keep it sealed until we get back. That would mean 36 hours or so of full-time squeeze on the o-rings. I know not to keep the rings compressed for long-term storage but I don't know what 'long-term' is defined as.

     

    Any thoughts?

     

     

    m.

    No worries on that regard. Think about all the o-rings in your housing that stay compressed for years and you should conclude that this will not be a problem.

    Bill

  3. Carry your camera system in a soft-pack cooler. A 24-pac works well for my Nexus system. Great for protection & can be used as a mini rinse tank.

  4. Carry your camera system in a soft-pack cooler. A 24-pac works well for my Nexus system. Great for protection & can be used as a mini rinse tank.

     

    Good call. I'll grab my housing and shop around.

     

     

    Thanks!

     

     

     

     

    m.

  5. 36 hours is not long term.

     

    Think years, not hours...

  6. A couple days at room temp are no problem at all. You'll need to heat the o-rings to about 200-250F before compression set becomes a concern.

  7. I dive primarily in fresh, clear water. I tend to assemble my stuff and use it for weeks. So far so good...

     

    If I was in salt, I don't think I wold feel the same way...

  8. so if you dive to like 40m, how much greater pressure is on those o-rings then in normal ATP?

    it's no brainer, probably like 40years! but hey not expert..you could be contaminating your oring with diesel fumes.....

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.