Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Confused about that circle

Started by apete ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Confused about that circle

9 posts
  1. Confused about that circle

    How is the diameter of the circle of confusion calculated or estimated?

     

    I realize it depends on the sensor (size and pixel count) and the quality of the lens, but how.

     

    That number (the diameter) also measures my quality requirement.

     

    When I calculate the hyperfocal distance I should input a parameter that represents what I require, within the camera’s capability.

     

    For underwater use; why not replace infinity with something closer (10m)?

     

    /Anders

  2. Search Google for "circle of confusion". There are lots of articles that should be of help.

  3. Strangely, that didn't occur to me ;-)

     

    Found a few, and immediately got bored.

     

    A good estimate of the CoC for digital cameras seems to be rot(2) * “diagonal pixel distance”.

     

    What I initially wanted was a formula where I could input a required display/print quality parameter and a visibility parameter, and get an underwater and usage specific hyperfocal distance. I’m not bothered with this anymore.

     

    /Anders

  4. I too played with hyperfocal distances until my head started to hurt. Now I spend my time contemplating the convergence of the string theory and parallel universe concepts. I find this line of thinking more useful and less painful ;).

     

    But if you want to read further, here is a good source.

     

    http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/index.html

     

    No response necessary as I too am moving on.

  5. Hey guys,

     

    Come on back!! A thought just occurred to me.

     

    Now that the capture media has changed and is now a sensor, why does it have to be flat? (is it still flat like the film plane?) IOW, would a sensor have a better chance of maintaining focus at the outer edges of the "plane " were it curved more like the lens the light has to pass through? Wouldn't the light then all be traveling the same distance after it's journey through the aperture? As a result, theoretically, wouldn't it be easier to limit the size of the circle of confusion, creating the appearance of better focus?

     

    No response necessary, I'm more interested in getting my substrobe to float :wink:

  6. I dove with Splashdown when I lived in Boynton Beach, 1997-1999.

    Lynn runs a first class operation, is a Marine Biologist, Instructor, 50 ton (at least) Captain and has a great feeling and knowledge

    for the reefs off of Boynton Beach area.

     

    This woman will protect her divers that are in the water if they are endangered by some moron in a power boat.

     

    The other operator in Boynton Beach will not do that

     

    She saved me from having to make an emergency power down dive from the surface as I was hanging next to the float waiting to be picked up.

     

    Some moron with a lot more money than brains changed course in his 50 foot power boat and headed straight at the two of us hanging next to the float.

     

    Lynn drove Splashdown right at him and headed him off with a few choice words along with the threat of being in deep (water) and other things.

     

    Again

    Thanks Lynn, miss diving with you and your staff.

  7. Thanks for the kind words Tony. Lynn doesn't do forums but she does do email. I'll forward your note to her.

  8. Thanks Peter.

     

    Lynn certainly runs a class operation. Certainly the best in Boynton Beach,

    and one of the best I have ever dived with.

     

    Tell Mike Gray I said hi. He doesn't seem to be answering his email

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.