Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro mate flip lens

Started by diverocket ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro mate flip lens

5 posts
  1. Hi

     

    Will this combo be so much better ??? Macro mate flip lens + Canons 60mm macro lens thinking to buy it but would like to hear your opinion.??

     

    Or will I get more out of it if i use Canons 100 mm macro lens???

     

     

     

    kent

  2. Kent, IMO The working distance (between close up lens and subject) when using a 60mm and any close up lenses, is very close for the whatever magnification you will end up getting. It soon will get really awkward to light the subject and this proximity does unfortunately increases the chances of trashing the reef. This being said, it will work, I would just be careful on the subject matter and surrounding I pick, if you plan using this setup.

     

    As the lens focal length increases, so does the punch of the Close up lens, you will get definitely a lot more magnification out the Macro Mate if you use it on the 100mm

     

    Here is an idea of magnification of dioptric strength versus focal length

     

    Lens Close-up lens +5 Close-up lens +10

    60mm 1.2 to 1 1.5 to 1

    100mm 1.5 to 1 2.1 to1

    Edited by Viz'art
  3. Thanks for the advice Jean.

  4. Will this combo be so much better ??? Macro mate flip lens + Canons 60mm macro lens thinking to buy it but would like to hear your opinion.??

     

    Or will I get more out of it if i use Canons 100 mm macro lens???

     

    Hi Kent,

     

    I have a Canon 100mm macro (used on a full-size sensor) that I love. However, I found I wanted to get even closer to tiny subjects so I invested in a Macro Mate. The MM approximately doubles the size of my subject, but the depth of field is extremely small -- probably millimeters. It is a challenge to use but I'm glad I got it and have taken some nice photos with it (I've just returned from my first trip using the MM). All that being said I'd say invest in the 100mm instead of the 60mm and then go from there.

     

    Also, buying just the 100mm vs. a 60mm and a MM is a lot cheaper :)

     

    -Gina

  5. I've used the macromate with a Nikon 105 and 60. I'd echo what others said. Very hard to use with the 60. Great magnification with the 105, but very small depth of field and tricky to focus.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.