Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

First attempt at underwater photography

Started by Marcus Wendel ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

First attempt at underwater photography

7 posts
  1. Hello all,

     

    I've just returned from St Lucia where I took my first steps into the world of underwater photography as a diver. Obviously I have little idea about what I am doing at this stage but I've created a simple blog where I have posted some of the photos and videos I took and I would appreciate some feedback and suggestions on what to work on but keep in mind that I am very much a beginner and am finding it difficult do to the most basic things icon_e_smile.gif

    The address is http://www.divingiguana.com/

     

    I am using a Sea&Sea DX-GE5 with the flash Sea&Sea YS-Q2 and I got a suggestion about the "Underwater" action for Photoshop Elements so I've used that on the images.

     

    /Marcus

  2. Great start. The more you get underwater and shoot the better you will become both in technique, understanding of your gear, etc. I suggest focusing on 2 things - lighting and composition. Take lots of shots to learn what works and what doesn't. A good example is to avoid shooting subjects from directly above as that will create a dull or "lifeless" perception of the subject. Keep at it!

  3. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

     

    /Marcus

  4. A good place to start your underwater photography experience is in the safer and manageable confines of a swimming pool. You can learn how to handle the camera in a wet environment; and if it falls to the bottom of the pool, then you don’t have far to go to retrieve it. Use your friends or family members as practice subjects. Shoot images from various angles above the water, at the water line, and then underwater.

     

    Get more tips from the following articles :

     

    http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Nikon-School/fu02mcno/1/Underwater-Photography.html

     

    http://www.photographytalk.com/photography-articles/677-photography-tiphow-to-introduce-yourself-to-underwater-photography

     

    Hope you will some good tips for underwater photography from the articles.

  5. Simplest advice is to get low and shoot up. You don't want pictures to look flat. Also like all photography the closer the better. It should be obvious what the subject of each photo is.

  6. It is just to keep diving and taking pics, which is true for all of us as well.

    Read a few books about UW Photography.

    Have a look at the Pictures in those books and contemplate why you like them and how to emulate them.

     

    /Erik

  7. As others have said, a good start. Get closer, and avoid centering your subject unless you are filling the entire frame. Checking out composition "rules" from any photo website will help you to compose appealing images.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.