Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Little arms on long arm octopus

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Little arms on long arm octopus

8 posts
  1. What are these little arms?

     

    post-713-0-95106200-1342624438_thumb.jpg

     

    Pretty sure I've seen them a few times. Will look for a clearer shot.

     

    Alex

  2. Fingers?

  3. Wow - very interesting! They could be re-growing arms that had been lost to autotomy. Is there a way to crop it and show a little more to the left, so you can see where the other arms grow from the web?

  4. I'm also interested if it's due to the regrowing of arms. Here are two photos of the same individual I shot in 2002 in Anilao including a close-up of its missing arms and what I'm now wondering if is indeed the same phenomenon.

     

    octopus19_anilao21_630.jpg

     

    octopus23_anilao21_630.jpg

  5. Thanks.

     

    Here are some larger images.

     

    The first is another crop of the original image

    post-713-0-74181800-1342736517_thumb.jpg

     

    This is a different photo of the same individual. This time only one of the filaments is visible.

    post-713-0-00564200-1342736544_thumb.jpg

     

    Alex

  6. With no other ideas being suggested, I think that they are regrowing arms is our best hypothesis.

     

    Alex

  7. Alex, the cephalopod anoraks on the Tonmo forum may know more.

  8. I saw a Mimic Octopus yesterday with two small front arms, both the same length. I presume they are re-growing too. But strange that it is again the two front arms, not other ones.

     

    Here's some video I made. There are two Mimic's in the video, the 1st one is the one with the two short arms

     

    [vimeohd]50000489[/vimeohd]

     

    Direct Link to Video

     

    Cheers,

     

    Kaj

    Edited by liquidguru
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.