Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Shrimp with no name

Started by liquidguru ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Shrimp with no name

3 posts
  1. I posted a photo a couple of weeks ago, after we found a shrimp here in Lembeh that none of my dive guides can ever recall seeing before. Barb took a couple of better pictures. It was found in rubble, not on a sponge, 6 metres deep and was about 1.5 to 2cm long.

     

    Does anyone have any idea what it may be, or seen one elsewhere?

     

    jony1.jpg

     

     

    jony2.jpg

     

    Thanks,

     

    Kaj

  2. It reminds me of a Trachycaris restricta, that is common but very hard to spot as it covers itself with different camouflage. Do a image google search and you will see many pictures (I have never seen it so I can´t post any pic) with different colours, patterns etc... I don´t know if it lives in Indo, but it could be a relative etc... Some examples:

     

    http://www.fotonatura.org/galerias/fotos/usr31198/13396670gm.jpg

    http://www.enelmar.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/20120429-1015-enelmar.es-Radazul-Trachycaris-restricta-603x400.jpg

    http://www.enelmar.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/20120429-1022-enelmar.es-Radazul-Trachycaris-restricta-603x400.jpg

    http://www.enelmar.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/20120512-1623-enelmar.es-Trachycaris-restricta.jpg

  3. Thanks David, for the detailed reply and links.

     

    There definitely look like some similarities there. I think the tail looks a little different in shape, but the head looks very similar. The Trachycaris restricta distribution looks much more European, but maybe, as you say, a related species. I wonder if anyone has seen something like this in the Indo area.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.