I have a rather puristic view on the question. For several resons, when the subject clearly does not agree with the title of the competition, I think it is clear that it shouldn't be entered in the contest, and if entered, should be erased. First of all, why would there else be titles on the weekly competitions? Second, I think that Wetpixel at least on some level has some kind of educational purpose, so including dolphins in a shark competition, flatworms in a nudibranch competition, or, to take this example, a blennid in a goby competition, I believe sends out the wrong message. Third, how should this be stated in the rules? It is allowed to enter stuff that is somewhat similar, but not really different from the subject of the week?
There are of course weekly titles that allows people to enter more or less whatever subject the photographer wishes to enter, and that is perfectly fine. However, in the competitions with more stringent titles, either defined by systematics or by a strict subject, I believe that the subject should at least have some relationship to the title. I guess one could get away with a lot on subject titles (a wreck competition could potentially have an ice berg in it with the title "Titanic II" for example), but I believe that systematic titles should have entries with a subject included in the title. And, as a blenny belongs to a different suborder than a goby, I would think that a blenny should be disqualified from a goby competition. But then again, a cephalopod is without doubt more different to fish than blennies are to gobies, so I might be way to restricted in my view on the organization of nature
.
Cheers Bent (who spends quite large parts of my life teaching differences between whales and fish, mice and bats, flies and bees and so on and on and on...)