Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dive Conditions in HI

Started by james ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Dive Conditions in HI

8 posts
  1. Dive Conditions in HI

    Hi Gang,

     

    So how are the conditions this week? I'll be diving Kona coast later this week and this coming weekend.

     

    I hear a big swell is hitting right now. Is the viz really bad everywhere?

     

    Should I just plan to concentrate on Macro?

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Aloha! The weather here is pretty attrocious right now. We have had nasty weather since Thursday or so. Over here on Oahu it has been really bad. Not sure about Kona...I volunteer at Hanauma Bay on the weekend and the weather was better for surfing than snorkelling...

  3. me too!

    Hi James,

     

    How long will you be there? I'm coming in 3/12 - 3/16. Any chance you'll still be there?

     

    Bonnie

  4. Hi Bonnie,

     

    Just got back today. I was weathered out for a few days by that monster winter storm, but I had to go to a wedding those days anyhow - so I didn't miss anything.

     

    I had a great trip! Got to do a couple dives at Puako, some around the airport, and one at Mile marker 4 across the street from my friend's house. Also got to visit the new NW Hawaiian Islands visitor center in Hilo and got up on Kileua for one afternoon in the middle of the storm. It was cool!

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. You went to the NWHI center? Pretty nice, huh? A friend of mine that I work with at Hanauma Bay moved to Hilo last year to run the program. Did you get the chance to see their 7-10 minute music slideshow of images from the NWHI? It's pretty amazing...

     

    --John

  6. Yes, I met him, he's a very cool guy. No, I didn't see the slideshow, as I was hanging out w/ some of my NOAA friends and only had a few minutes to tour the center.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. James, welcome back. I was worried about those huge waves and big wind hurting your diving. Glad you got some in. I can't believe you dove at 4 mile marker, and have a friend near there. My folks live about 1/4 mile away...

     

    Get any boat dives in? Any photos?

     

    Take it easy!

    Don

  8. Hi Don,

     

    Yep, the diving was pretty good. I saw some slipper lobsters and a blue and white lobster in the lava tube. But I didn't have my camera on that one of course...

     

    I took it pretty easy and only brought my camera on 3 dives. I'll have some photos posted soon.

     

    Cheers

    James

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.