Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Teensy mollusc

Started by scubamarli ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Teensy mollusc

5 posts
  1. I apologize in advance for the poor quality. While editing a photo, I noticed what appear to be snails, bubble shells, or nudibranchs. They are small, and I was shooting a 60mm lens for a change, so the resolution is crummy. I am just curious to see if anyone recognizes these critters with the characteristic blue spots. This was taken in the northern Sea of Cortez.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-0-21000200-1345776942_thumb.jpg

    Edited by scubamarli
  2. The tail suggests Haminoeid species.

  3. Thanks, Brian. That's what I thought, but there are no resources on this area. I wish that I'd noticed them when I was taking the photo, so I could have taken a better shot.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. Nope, that's a true snail, familyCystiscidae, possibly genus Granulina or Gibberula. I get a lot of those in rubble samples and the colors are often stunning.

     

    http://www.shellcana...ystiscidae.html

    Edited by Leslie
  5. Cool! Thanks, Leslie.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.