Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Good-bye DX. :(

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Good-bye DX. :(

15 posts
  1. Well, thanks mostly to you guys here on Wetpixel, I found that I had a cupboard full of cameras and housings. My latest purchase was a D800 with Hugyfot housing.

     

    The problem has been always deciding, in view of checked weight restrictions, which outfit to take away with me. I have been alternating between the DX with Tokina 10-17 and FX systems.

     

    However, in these economic times, that is a luxury nobody should be able to afford so I have sold my DX outfit. I last used it in March of this year and the pictures I took with it were very pleasing. I am really going to miss the Tokina. It is with a feeling of trepidation that I let it go and concentrate on FX. It's all YOUR fault!

  2. I applaud your housekeeping John. Sadly mine is lacking with a stable of a 5D3, two 7Ds all with Nauticams and a couple of G9s...

  3. i just arrived at that crossroad and made the same decision.

    Im just waiting to sell my D700 Hugyfot rig and the availability of the new D800 Hugyfot housing, some new lenses

    and a LOT of €€€ to hand over.

    The call of the beast is too strong to resist ....

    Chris

  4. John -

    You know you can use the Tokina on the D800 in DX mode, right? D800 res is still pretty impressive in DX, and you get a faster frame rate and higher sync speeds.

    Doug

  5. Goodbye DX through either upsizing to FX or downsizing to mirrorless. As lower cost FX are in the pipeline and higher performance mirrorless, eventually with better continuous AF as on-sensor AF matures, APS-C DSLRs are squeezed from both sides. Because a good selection of APS-C optimized lenses has never surfaced I think they will become a threatened species.

     

    Bart

  6. I feel your pain.

    Having recently purchased a D800/S&S MDX-D800, Sigma 15mm and Nikon 16-35 I really want the big Zen 230.

    So do I sell my Zen 100 and Tokina 10-17mm as I no longer have my D300/S&S MDX-D300, or wait and see what Nikon has up their sleeve as the D300 replacement. Not to mention the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII that arrived from B&H yesterday!

     

  7. Because a good selection of APS-C optimized lenses has never surfaced I think they will become a threatened species.

     

    Bart

     

    I've got to ask Bart, I don't understand your comment. I consider the Tokina 10-17 a wonderful lens for our underwater work and the new Canon 8-15 looks pretty spectacular too. The 100mm is a wonderful macro lens when used on an APS-C body. I know a bunch of folks who choose to shoot DX because of these lenses. What am I missing?

    Not everyone wants to spend $3K on a body.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  8. Absolutely Steve. The Tokina plus Kenko and the 100mm are the best reasons to keep my 7Ds for underwater not to mention the superb Sigma 8-16mm for topside... I'm hoping that Nauticam are going to release an optical glass version of their rectilinear dome port so I can take the Sigma underwater too.

  9. There are also those who use their cameras greatly on land too. I tried using the M43 for this purpose, but it simply didn't have the appeal of the SLR for a raft of reasons. Namely.. ergonomics, size, lens selection, filter use etc. I prefer a bigger camera when using on land for most situations. I see mirrorless as a good option on land for street photography,snapshots and similar situations.

  10. I've got to ask Bart, I don't understand your comment. I consider the Tokina 10-17 a wonderful lens for our underwater work and the new Canon 8-15 looks pretty spectacular too. The 100mm is a wonderful macro lens when used on an APS-C body. I know a bunch of folks who choose to shoot DX because of these lenses. What am I missing?

    Not everyone wants to spend $3K on a body.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    My bad. I had not seen any APS-C lenses interesting to me after I bought my Canon 60mm macro lens. But that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I have an odd preference for subjects, small to medium sized fish, and therefore lenses. I just checked B&H and there are indeed tons of APS-C lenses. All the wonderful lenses you mention, and I had seen others write about, just never stuck to my frontal lobe as I have only shot primes and nothing wider than 35mm for the last few years. In that category the canon and Tamron 60mm macro are the only APS-C lenses to choose from. Thanks for taking of my blinders.

     

    Bart

  11. Glad you like the 60mm Bart. It's a great "fish" lens. The 100mm is a little too tight for your fish pics but makes for some great fish face images. tongue.png

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  12. Man you guys.......

     

    I still like magnification, close up magnification and magnification at distance.

     

    So I now have a 150mm lens on my D-300 to snap shots of skittish little critters that my old, fat, heavy-breathing body can't sneak up on.

     

    Tom

  13. ... a good selection of APS-C optimized lenses has never surfaced...

     

    ... for Canon cameras?

     

    I've been very pleased (prior to defecting to FX) with my Nikon lenses...

  14. Oh god and now the D600 is coming in a smaller size and much lower cost...arghhhh!

    Edited by JackConnick
  15. Well,

    my D800 is in Zurich and will arrive tomorrow here while the Hugyfot housing will be shipped in 2 days. :-)

    Unfortunately something new and "better" is always on the horizon and it's not easy to resist the temptation,

    but i belive that the d800 will set the upper level for the next few years.

    But i probably need a new computer (another "thing" always being better and faster ones on the horizon) to handle the huge raw files while

    a bigger hard disk will be needed soon ...

    Chris

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.