Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

dSLR sensor cleaning

Started by segon ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

dSLR sensor cleaning

11 posts
  1. Yesterday I was shooting a landscape with my two months old D800 (the camera has 8700 clicks). When reviewing the pictures I noticed that the sensor was covered with dozens of drops of oil. A Nikon representative did not deny it and took the camera for service. Apparently this happens with new cameras or so I was told. Is this really normal?

    Would you send your brand new camera for service or simply clean it yourself? The Nikon representative strongly advised me to send it to a Nikon service centre.

    The service centre is in US and it is going to take weeks before I get my camera back. Back to DX for a while...

  2. If it was a speck or two of dust, I'd clean it.

    But oil. no way!

    Send it in.

  3. Yes, I did. I hope it's nothing serious!

  4. After almost 2 months I got my D800 back. Made 40 shots at f22 to make sure the problem was resolved. It was not. The first oil drop happened on shot 17. The second one on 28th and the third one (the biggest one) at the last shot.

    I guess I am stuck with a defective camera. Nikon Service cleaned up the sensor but did not fix the issue.

    What do I do now? I am going to talk to the store that sold me the camera. But I doubt they will exchange it.

  5. I would send it back.

  6. If they do not offer to get you a new camera, I would find another store to start dealing with. I realize that in Bermuda your options may be limited, but a defective $3000 camera body is unacceptable. did your store provide you with a record that it actually was sent to an authorized Nikon service center? IF so, I would contact that center and try your claim through them

    good luck

  7. A thing to know is that Nikon's service store (ran by Nikon) get an F by the BBB. I would look at authorized service centers from non Nikon owned. Look at

     

    Midwest Camera Repair

    318 Oak St.

    Wyandotte, MI 48192

    Directions

    Phone: 734-285-2220

    Fax: 734-283-7478

     

    I have worked with them in the past and have been happy. Call them and tell them yout problem and see if they have a fix. Does Bermuda have a "lemon" policy or law?

     

    Kirk

     

     

  8. There is only one camera store in Bermuda. And they don't have many items in stock. But the staff is very helpful and professional.

    I talked to them this morning. They are going to replace my defective D800 with a brand new one on Monday. Great!

     

    Nikon service requested all RAW images that I took since I got the camera back. Other than that no questions were asked.

  9. Got the new camera today.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.