20 years ago I dove with a drysuit and weight belt. I have just recently gotten back into diving, but now I have a BCD with integrated weight packs. In order to stay neutral with my new drysuit, I have about 7 kilos of weight in each of the two packs. From a comfort perspective, this is certainly a big improvement over a weight belt, but the plastic clips that keep the packs in place look kind of flimsy to me.
If I hear a reassuring click when the pack is stowed, can I assume it is secure? Does this kind of system have an excellent history of reliability? Are there any measures that would mitigate the risk of a pack inadvertently falling out during a dive? Have any of you deliberately ditched a heavy weight pack during a dive to see how well you could handle the sudden increase in buoyancy? If so, how did that go for you?
John McCracken