Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Need ID

Started by manatee19 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Need ID

5 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    We shot this guy at BHB last July.

     

    Body of a flouder with a mouth aking to a stargazer... puzzling...

     

    Can anyone provide positive ID with scientific name?

     

    Thanks

     

    Michel Gilbert

  2. BHB?

     

    Your fish is a flounder/sole/fluke/etc. of some kind. Not enough information to identify.

  3. I thought about fluke but I was not sure.

     

    Thx

     

    Michel

  4. I'm sorry, but it isn't a fluke. It is a flounder of the genus Paralichthys, one of the sand flounders. My money is that it's a P. albigutta, gulf flounder, but I would need to see more of its visible side to be sure. Google also P. dentatus, summer flounder and P. lethostigma, southern flounder. All three have very similar faces, but a positive diagnosis can be made by observing the arrangement and types of spots that are on the visible side. BHB = Blue Heron Bridge.

     

    Bryce

  5. Thanks Bryce, that puts me on a good track.

     

    Michel

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.