A few days ago, I got a message that I always dread to read, that someone was badly injured diving/photographing a big wild animal in bad conditions. I'm not at liberty to say exactly what or where the incident happened, but I can say the animal ran into a diver while trying to move off, bit in reaction (without intent to kill, otherwise that guy would've been dead). However, the injury to the diver's arm is catastrophic and there's a high probability he'll lose it. I'm sure the news will be coming out in a few days.
The reason I'm writing this is because the accident needn't have happened. According to those who were there, the visibility was about 3ft/1m and there was a strong current. Moreover, there were 5 divers in the water for one boat, making quick diver retrieval impossible. The well known operator allowed the divers to enter the water in very unsafe conditions and had very poor diver management once in the water. Worse, there was no essential gear like oxygen etc on the boat. And this operator often manages TV productions,where all the safety stuff equipment are mandatory, if only for insurance purposes.
To be fair to the operator, the customers were not all newbies. They chose to jump in as well because they were eager to get the shot. As proven over the years, the drive to get the shot tends to lead to stupid decisions. I've even seen some operators have clients who insist on jumping in on VERY unsafe conditions because they paid a lot of money and time was running out etc. Under pressure, operators also lose their sanity (and thus ability to say no) because they need the client to leave happy.
Arguments can be made for both sides. An operator needs to have all the important safety equipment and be firm with the client in dangerous situations, but also allow customers the best opportunities. Likewise, just because the operator doesn't pull a veto doesn't mean it's safe. There are operators who assume the clients know what they are doing and let them run wild. They also have to respect the decision of the operator when conditions aren't workable.
Basically, if the operator does unsafe things, choose NOT to go in. Be careful out there, there are bad operators out there who have no idea what they are doing, even if they have a good reputation. Most importantly, use good judgement and don't let the pressure of getting the shot push you into a stupid decision.