Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Bitrate for home/online reproduction

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Bitrate for home/online reproduction

5 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    Just playing with H.264 export with my NLE.

     

    What's the best bitrate for H.264 1080p export to play on a media player/ps3/smart tv?

    Is it the same max bitrate supported by BD?

    I'm not planning to burn a DB but just a single H.264 file.

     

    And speaking about exporting for Vimeo...

    Their guidelines suggest 10Mb for 1080p and 5Mb for 720p.

     

    Do you usually comply with these values or you export higher bitrate for Vimeo?

    I saw that they accepts higher bitrate but I was not able to spot if this leads to a better quality.

     

    Bye

    Edited by Davide DB
  2. Hi Steve,

     

    Everything went good, as all vacations, after all smile.png

     

    Thank you for point me out your article. It's nearly the same work-flow I use with Edius. Except using 10M for 1080p and I'm satisfied with the results.

    My question on Vimeo arises because I found several people who use higher bitrate for Vimeo and they states that the final quality is better... The ratio behind this is since Vimeo compresses the material one more time after upload, you will get better quality if you have a higher bit rate to start with.

    Hummm... I wonder if this is true and if someone has tried.

     

    Just as example I found this comment on Vimeo:

     

    https://vimeo.com/fo...comment_4440398

     

    He is referring to an Howard Hall video which is only 386MB while being of extreme quality. Ok: he is HH, he is using a Red camera and blah blah blah... but downloading his original file:

     

    Well I answered my own question regarding the Howard Hall video. I downloaded the original source file. It was variable bit rate, dropping down to 9 Mbsec in the simple scenes and spiking to over 26 Mbsec in the complex scenes.

     

     

    On the other hand, what is the maximum bitrate I can use for home viewing? Or better saying which bitrate is worth using? At home I have a Samsung tv with an integrated media palyer and a db plyer. Both reads H.264 files..

     

    Thank you in advance

    Edited by Davide DB
  3. Davide,

    Wish I could be more specific on this but much depends upon the duration of your video, what format and codec you have used and even the number of active composites from your original timeline. You really do need to experiment but you don't have to use an entire sequence for the experimentation. Just encode several 10 second clips with your different choices of bit rate and determine for yourself, which looks the best. Using a short clip will save you a ton of time. Go with that one.

    Steve

  4. Hi Steve,

     

    I will do my homework asap :)

     

    Thanks

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.