Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Help, please

Started by gloria ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Help, please

9 posts
  1. Help, please

    Please tell me what I'm doing wrong in my so far failed effort to get images into the 75 k size. (They keep being 100-150k no matter what I try!) Here's what I've been trying:

    - image starts as JPG fine out of the fuji S2

    - make sure screen resolution is 72

    - use photoshop "resize" to make longest size 400-600 K

    - save at quality 3 or 4 (on scale of 12)

    This gets them to 120-130 K, and saving at even lower quality doesn't seem to get them much smaller.

    What am I doing/not doing?

    Thanks in advance for help!

     

    Gloria

  2. reduce the long dimension of your image to 250 to 350. You can leave Jpeg quality at high by doing this. At 72 dpi your image will still show up on a computer screen of around 4 inches.

  3. which program are you using to reduce the quality?

  4. The program I'm using is Photoshop CS, the re-size wizard under "help." I tried reducing it to 200 on the longest side, 72 dpi, medium image quality.

    Still 144 K. How can this be? Is it something about the S2 output??

    Also when I'm doing the "quality-file size" slider that comes up when I go to save it as a copy, the little numbers/transmit speed indicators would suggest I've made it below the 75 k.

    But then when I go to pull up the image, its still over 100k. Oh, woe.

    Gloria

  5. do, save for web in the file menu.

    usually jpg quality 45-50 will be ~70K for a 640 pixel wide picture

  6. Once you get your image resized to the width and height you want, try what acro said. The shortcut is ctrl + alt +shift +s on a PC.

  7. Thanks -- I tried the save for web with an approx 3 by 4 72 pix image. The save for web turns it into a "gif" versus a jpg but I will try posting that and see how it works.

  8. There is a box that says "settings" change it to JPG

  9. When you selected JPG You can also look a t different "versions" with different compression Ratios. The text beneath the images shows you the size.

     

    I also found out, that ACDSee does a stronger compression. If you have no succes with PS CS load an uncompressed Picture in the Edit mode of ACDSee and use SaveAs.

     

    Simon

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.