Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Species of sap sucking slug?

Started by Polly Pirate ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Species of sap sucking slug?

8 posts
  1. Found at 10 feet in Bequia, St Vincent and the Grenadines. An interesting type of sap sucker that I haven't seen here before. Identification help please!

    post-36020-0-43283800-1348173124_thumb.jpg

  2. Possibly Chelidonura berolina

  3. Am I right in my research that they are now classified as Chelidonura africana?

  4. As far as we know Chelidonura species eat flatworms rather than green algae like the true sap-suckers.

  5. As far as we know Chelidonura species eat flatworms rather than green algae like the true sap-suckers.

     

    I'm curious about this term "sap-sucker" being applied to marine creatures. I didn't realize algaes had sap. Any idea why they have that name?

     

    Thanks,

    Gina

    Edited by gina
  6. You're right, algae don't have sap. I suspect the name is just a catchy alliteration & over-simplification of what's really happening. "Sap-suckers" are members of the opisthobranch order Sacoglossa and feed by sucking out the internal contents of algal cells.

     

    For more info about sacoglossans check out the wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacoglossa - or browse through some of the posts on the Sea Slug Forum - www.seaslugforum.net -

  7. Thanks for the links Leslie :)

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.