Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone Shooting the d800E?

Started by guyharrisonphoto ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone Shooting the d800E?

9 posts
  1. Is anyone shooting the D800E? What has been your experience with artifacts/moire in subjects like fine patterns in sea fans or fish scales? How about video quality? Would especially like to hear from people who have shot it in comparison to the D800 underwater.

     

    Thanks, Guy

  2. Hi Guy,

    I have them both and to be honest, i think the differences between both camera are exaggerated. I never experienced negative effects like moire in the D800E nor extra sharpness when shooting macro. From what i have seen, differences are only visible with fast (f/1.4), high quality lenses when they're stopped down to f/4.0-5.6. As far as i am aware most photographers use none of these lenses under water. For video i can't tell you, but i'd expect the same.

     

    Udo

     

    P.S.: i have the D800E because an online shop sold it to me like it was the D800 (they weren't aware of the difference...)

  3. I agree with Udo, I have both, and the differences are minimal and only visible at optimal apertures say from f4 -f8, and then only at high magnification. If your goal is large prints with images shot in this range, then it may be worth it to go with the 800E. Macro generally will not show the difference as small aperture diffraction will obscure the differences. Underwater other issues will also minimize the differences. On the other hand the moire differences are minimal as well, so it's questionable whether Nikon even needs to make an 800.

    Edited by loftus
  4. I've got only the D800E, and have been using it mostly underwater, and only for still photos. I have not noticed any moire problems to date, and will probably buy another D800E for my next camera. You can read my notes and see photo samples at

     

    http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=44

  5. Nice article Doug. Will you try the 16-35? I have one on order - Alex M's empressive corner sharpness persuaded me to switch from DX. I'll do some pool tests!

  6. I posted this feature by Doug, on to a FaceBook page for a group of users that keep berating me for not using a mirrorless camera!

  7. With due respect to Doug's images, I am pretty certain that the D800 could have captured them too. If you plan to shoot in carefully controlled underwater conditions, I can see an argument for the "E" version, but as Loftus has said, in the "wild", the loss of resolution as we shoot through water negates its advantages. The resolution advantage that the D800 offers (which can also be a disadvantage) is the key to capturing the details that Doug has done, not the anti-aliasing filter or lack of it.

     

    That said, there does not seem to be a downside (beyond price) in the D800E. The moire problems don't seem to be an issue underwater either.

     

    Separately, I am now shooting a 16-35 and can confirm that it is very sharp even at the corners, but only when used with a large dome. It does not look good with an 8" dome. Using the correct set up with extensions is also critical.

     

    I have been shooting video with the D800 and it looks very good. I plan to post about this soon, so please stay tuned. I am also planning a D800 housing review, with side-by-side tests of current D800 housings which will be published here on Wetpixel in March-please stay tuned!

     

    Adam

  8. Hi Adam,

     

    did you already publish your findings on the D800 video capabilities??

     

    Rob

  9. Hi Rob,

     

    No, not yet. I am hoping that we can test it using a Ninja 2 as a part of the D800/D800E's advantage is a clean HDMI out, and would like to include that in the test.

     

    Atomos (who make the Ninja) had spec'd it with an option to control it via LANC, which would make housing the recorder fairly straightforward. It seems now that they have abandoned this plan. Various manufacturers currently have housings in development, including Nauticam, Aquatica and Dive and See.

     

    In the meantime, I have shot a fair amount of video with it, and can report that from a functional standpoint, it works fine. I run the HDMI signal to a Small HD monitor and have been using a Nikon 16-35mm zoom behind a Zen 230mm port. The camera's produces a clean video feed even at high ISO, which is very useful for underwater shooting.

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.