It all began in the waters off Palau in Micronesia. I was diving the Peleliu drop-off, and as is typical of this dive, the current was quite swift. I needed to offgas before surfacing, but the current swept me off the ledge into nothing but blue water. Which left me with the uncomfortable conundrum … do I surface now and risk decompression sickness or do I do my safety stop and assume the guy in the dinghy will be following my bubbles and pick me up? Having been bent before, and having no desire to do so again, I chose to hang.
I have a few things that I would like to say about this (not saying its a bad thing, i think it is brilliant but anyone who reads about it may assume its a means to doing without everything else)
1) instead of worring about loosing cameras your thoughts should always be on saftey.
2) Ok yes cameras are expensive so you need to worry about them, but there are things you could do before this, in my mind it is essential to be able to free up your hands at anytime. attach some simple rubber bungy cords (that attach to your BC with quick releases) to your camera and BC, that way if you need to free up your hands you can eaither drop the camera and it dangles below you, or clip it to the quick release so the bungy is slack and the camera is tight to your body
3) Safety stops are always important, but if you stick to a good dive plan and safety figures and table then you will only need a 3 minute at 15ft, or a nice slow accent depending on your profile so you wont be drifting for 10 mins. And with that margin of saftey and without multiple dives you may even in an emergency easily be able to forgo the safety stop.
4) You should always have a buddy for any sort of help you need, holding cameras, alerting others to you emeergency blowing up sausages etc.
Now just to make sure everyone understands I am not bad mouthing Stephen or his Device the SOS, I have dived with Stephen in Grand Cayman and theres nothing wrong with what he does for his experience and knowledge as is the same for many photographers. And I also understand the needs of a proffesional photographer and how they must dive sometimes to get the shots they need in the time frame they need. The device as I said is a great idea.
I just wanted to mention these things as we do have new divers looking at this site, and also with the cost of underwater cameras being so affordable especially with the costs of other equipment being high, many new divers do have cameras.
This can cause dangerous problems like; divers forgetting their profile and going to deep for too long as they chase a turtle or something, divers loosing their buddies, or groups, divers running out of air as they forgot to check, or going solo diving without sufficient experience and getting lost. All because they are more interested in taking photos, which is understandable but unacceptable.
Now that I have said those things let me repeat, I am not bad mouthing Stephen or the SOS, I believe both to be top notch and well worth taking diving with you
I would take Stephen diving anytime again (last time was when i worked for Fisheye of Cayman) and when i purchase some new equipment if the SOS comes with the SeaQuest BCD I buy it will stay.
btw .. was the video shot in Grand Cayman .. i noticed our iron shore .. a cruise ship and stingray city !!!
love and regards to all
Giles