- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Free living anemone?
-
-
Yes - at least temporarily free living. Anemones can move, and in fact one frequent complaint of people with salt-water tanks is that the anemones won't stay in one place. They'll migrate to whatever spot in the tank has the best conditions for them. Some frequently swim as part of their normal behavior (check out the Australian Swimming Anemone & the Alaska Swimming Anemones) while others do it to escape predation or move to a new spot.
-
Okay. Whilst I knew they could move, I thought that they where predominantly sessile or free living.
What got me about this guy is the conical tentacles which I can t recall seeing elsewhere.
-
Here's an image of Phlyctenactus tuberculosa showing fat tentacles like in your image.
Swimming Anemone. by JimSwims, on Flickr
That however is not the normal appearance for them. For more shots of same species follow link below.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimswims/tags/phlyctenactustuberculosa/
Cheers,
Jim.
