Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Hugyfot D800 Housing and Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye

Started by ChrigelKarrer ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

Hugyfot D800 Housing and Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye

20 posts
  1. Hi and thanks for reading!

     

    I just received my new Hugyfot D800 housing.

    Unfortunately - and against the dealers statement - the combination of the Athenas OPD-F170V Glass Dome and the Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye

    vignettes badly because of the S&S -> Hugyfot Adaptor adding about 20mm more and that is too much.

    post-31002-0-14243600-1348693591_thumb.jpg

     

    A try with the original Hugyfot 172mm acrylic dome show only a slight vignetting, but soft corners and the grinded edge of the dome.

    post-31002-0-03520600-1348693671_thumb.jpg

     

     

    Does anybody uses the Hugyfot D800 housing with the Sigma15mm Diagonal Fisheye and a +/- 170mm 6" glass dome and no vignetting?

     

    Chris

  2. Hi Chris,

    I have a friend that uses the D700 in a Hugyfot housing with the 15 mm sigma and the original acrylic domeport and no issues at all. Topside you will see some 'vignetting' but underwater it will disappear because you lens will focus on the virtual image which is closer then the subject. Try it in a pool i'd recommend.

    I use the new mineral glass minidome which is 4.5" in diameter. Recently they slightly redesigned it and now it's performing perfectly with the Sigma 15 mm FE, although topside you see still some of the shade. But underwater it's not visible when it's in focus.

     

    Udo

  3. Hi Udo,

    thanks for the quick reply.

    I will try the acrylic port under water to see how he performs, while i already tried the Athenas port and he still is vignetting (see attached image)

    I bought the Athenas Glass Dome especially for the D800 and i am rather frustrated that i spent a lot of money for nothing.

    Sure i can crop the immage and the resolution of the D800 will still mask that, but i will still loose some degrees FOV of the Sigma.

    I maybe should go for the Minidome and shave the Sigma to fit it.

     

    Thanks and best regards

     

    Chris

    post-31002-0-11389500-1348749562_thumb.jpg

  4. Hi Udo,

    thanks for the quick reply.

    I will try the acrylic port under water to see how he performs, while i already tried the Athenas port and he still is vignetting (see attached image)

    I bought the Athenas Glass Dome especially for the D800 and i am rather frustrated that i spent a lot of money for nothing.

    Sure i can crop the immage and the resolution of the D800 will still mask that, but i will still loose some degrees FOV of the Sigma.

    I maybe should go for the Minidome and shave the Sigma to fit it.

     

    Thanks and best regards

     

    Chris

     

    Hi Chris,

    I can understand your frustration, i had the same with the first minidome from Hugyfot i received: i had to shave the sunshades of the domeport. Not something you'd expect after spending € 950,-. But they replaced it now (kuddos for that) with a new one that has the glass a few mm closer to the lens and it's perfect now (underwater only).

     

    I totally agree with you: cropping out the corners is not an option. Resolution-wise it's OK, but you loose too much angle.

    I would return the Athena port and get the money back and try the 4.5 " minidome, which is good. They adviced you wrong and that's not your fault. Make sure they deliver you the most recent version of the minidome (with only 4 bolts that hold the sunshade, instead of 8). You don't have to shave the Sigma lens BTW with this dome.

     

    best, udo

     

    But you also have the big acrylic Hugy Dome i read, why not stick to that one? because of scratches? They can be removed quit easily. And i don't think you'll be able to notice the difference between acrylic an glass domeports in the photos. I did quit some cover shots with acrylic domeports..

  5. I bought the D800 with the intention of using one lens (Sigma 15) and cropping to suit. I use both the Hugy acylic dome and the Sea & Sea (Athena) glass dome. I make the choice whether to clone in the corners of shots taken with the smaller glass dome (usually easy) or to crop depending on the subject matter or use the acrylic dome and polish it from time to time. It's difficult to see the difference but the (Athena) glass dome is so sharp it may be worth the sacrifice depending on what you are using the pictures for.

    My pictures are usually cropped to an A-format (A4/A3) to suit magazines so the vignetting doesn't seem to matter. Having said all that, I recently found myself swimming with oceanic White-tips and wishing I had the glass dome because it was inevitable that I would be cropping in.

    Too much choice sometimes doesn't help!

  6. Thanks for your kind and quick answer,

    i think that i will try to exchange the Athenas Dome with the Minidome and keep the acrylic dome for some experiments

    with other medium WA Lenses.

     

    I belive that the Athenas Glass Dome is of excellent build and optical quality and noticable better than the acrylic port,

    i would be much cheaper to polish or change the port glass than a glass dome, but with a camera like the D800 i think

    only the best is good enough.

     

    Chris

  7. Just a short update regarding the dome problem.

    Finally i pulled the trigger and ordered the Hugyfot Minidome.

    While the dome was ordered i received a test version of it, having with 8 screw to hold the sun shade and it still vignetted, showing all 4 tips of the sun shade.

    Just a day before i left to Oman i received the new Hugyfot mini dome and it had - as Udo mentioned and suggested - only 4 screws to hold the sun shade.

    Unfortunately the upper shade is still slightly visible in most of the pictures but it can cropped out without too much cropping and there are soft corners with

    f-stops below 11.

    But for the rest, the dome works flawless with the Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye and i can recommend the use of it with this lens.

    Chris

    post-31002-0-20134500-1353514051_thumb.jpg

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  8. I find that cloning in the corners is not a problem in most cases (as per this example) although I always have the option of the acrylic dome that does not vignette.

    post-4197-0-24321600-1354448021_thumb.jpg

    Edited by John Bantin
  9. Hello everyone,

     

    Looks like this topic has been fully covered. Still, I didn't get all of it. Excuse my English :)

     

    I have a 5D MK 2 Hugyfot Housing, an 8'' dome ( product number 6.608 ) and the 20 / 40 / 60 mm extensions.

    Could anyone tell me if I ll have any problems using a Sigma 15 mm with this set up without having to crop the image ?

    Could anyone help me on that one ?

    Thanks for reading and maybe replying :)

    Safe dives

  10. Bzugodive,

    the problem with the Sigma 15mm EX DG is that it is a very short lens.

    This lead that the 180° field of view may see the bayonet of the dome and this eliminate the possibility to use any extension rings. I belive that also the Hugyfot 5D MKII housing will work fine with the original Hugyfot 8'' dome port, but only without any extension or adapter ring! To make sure please contact Hugyfot, they are very helpful! Chris

     

     

  11. I do not own a FF, but APS-C : canon 400D/XTi and now 550D/T2i. When

    using a Samyang 8mm with no extension ring and the fisheye port, I do not

    have any vignetting, nor topside or underwater.

     

    I have a 5D MK 2 Hugyfot Housing, an 8'' dome ( product number 6.608 ) and the 20 / 40 / 60 mm extensions.

    Could anyone tell me if I ll have any problems using a Sigma 15 mm with this set up without having to crop the image ?

    I think fisheye port 6.608 is 174mm, being 6.85''.

     

    I would also advice contacting Hugyfot directly, they offer great service.

  12. So ... that's what I did. And here is their answer :

     

    "The Sigma 15mm f2.8 requires a fisheye port. You can choose between the 7” acrylic dome or the 5” glass dome

    The Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 requires the 7” acrylic dome and a 60mm extension ring."

    :nea:

    Edited by bzugodive
  13. Why the disapproving smiley face ? Just put on the 7'' dome and

    go diving !

    ;)

  14. The thing is that I have an 8'' dome ( actually I have two of them ). Still don't understand why a 7'' would work and the 8 wouldn't.

    Will take the housing together with my 8'' dome and test them with the 15 mm in a shop...

  15. Which brand is your 8'' dome port ? Does it require an adapter ?

    I think vignetting in this topic is more about the position of the lens

    to the dome, rather than the diameter of the dome port.

     

    When the lens is too far in (example below), you will have trouble

    focusing. When the lens is too far out you will get vignetting (and

    probably trouble focusing too). If an adapter between the dome and

    the housing is used then your nodal points might be off.

     

    domeNodes.jpg

    http://www.marinethemes.com/domespacer.html

  16. It s a Hugyfot 8'' dome ( product number 6.608 ).

    Thanks for the link !

  17. In case it helps someone ...

     

    The 2 Hugy domes I have are in fact 7'' domes ( product number 6.608 ) which fit perfectly with the Sigma 15 mm

    I was persuaded to have 8'' domes as the previous owner had told me. Hugyfot doesn't manufacture any 8''.

     

    Case solved :)

    Edited by bzugodive
  18. I was persuaded to have 8'' domes as the previous owner had told me. Hugyfot doesn't manufacture any 8''.

     

    I already told you so ;) :

     

    I think fisheye port 6.608 is 174mm, being 6.85''.

    Edited by FanchGadjo
  19. j'avais pas capté :crazy:

  20. Il faut garder les yeux en face des trous ! :D

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.