Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Tokina 10-17 in full-frame

Started by Rui_Guerra ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

New Tokina 10-17 in full-frame

7 posts
  1. Hi every one,

     

    I'm moving to a full frame D800.

    My question is about the very useful Tokina 10-17 mm lens. I know that there is a new version (NH) without hood to increase the image area in full frame cameras. But, does the image at 10mm be a full circle or does it get cropped by the top/bottom image edges?

     

    Anyone has a picture made with this lens at 10mm in a full frame camera? And if not, anyone has a better lens suggestion to achieve that kind of image with the same kind of flexibility?

     

    Thanks,

    Edited by Rui_Guerra
  2. Hi Rui,

     

    I think to get full circle you need a focal length of 8mm or less.

     

    If you are using Canon cameras, the 8-16mm should give you both the full circle effect and some flexibility. Optically it is a better lens than the Tokina too.

     

    I don't think there is an alternative in a Nikon fit. It would be possible to use a Sigma 15mm though, for example, and add the round vignette post-capture.

     

    Adam

  3. Hi Adam,

     

    Thanks for your reply.

    I don't use Canon. My camera is a Nikon D800, so I think that there isn't a lens equivalent to that one of Canon.

    The other problem will be the very high camera's resolution witch only be useful with a good lens, so my question is somehow a double one, that is, a fisheye lens with the circular effect and that as a very high sharpness...

  4. Hi Rui,

     

    You are correct in that there is no equivalent lens for Nikon.

     

    I tested the 10-17mm with the D800 as a part of the Wetpixel review and found that the camera really showed up the flaws in the lens.

     

    Sigma offer an 8mm f3.5 FX lens, which will do the full circle and is, I believe, sharp. It is not a zoom though, so you are forced to use full circle the whole dive!

     

    You can get some quite dramatic effects with a conventional fisheye with Snell's window-although not full circle.

     

    i-5k89PMP-M.jpg

     

    With the D800's resolution, the option of adding the full circle in Photoshop is possibly a good one.

     

    Adam

  5. Hi Adam,

     

    Thanks for the link for you very good review of the D800. I have also read the post concerning this review and the photos made by Udo van Dogen (thanks, Udo :-)) comparing the sharpness of the Tokina vs Sigma were very clarifying indeed.

     

    So, no more doubts. I do not consider the Tokina a viable option for the high quality D800 camera.

     

    Cheers,

  6. wow! cool shot Adam :)

  7. To have a full benefit for Full Frame, at 15-17, there is a company that cuts the shade.

     

    Remember that the NH model has no shade for full frame format but anly from 14mm due to the sensor size.

     

     

    http://www.360pano.de/en/tokina-sigma-nikon.html

     

     

     

    Regards

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.