Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish ID anyone?

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish ID anyone?

8 posts
  1. Taken at Torpedo alley, Komodo, last fall with a 105, this is all I have.

    post-16933-0-73204600-1349208781_thumb.jpg

  2. LOL laugh.png Is there a prize for the first to name correctly? Any more clues? Family? Part of fish in image?

     

    The markings and colouration had me look momentaraly to Butterflyfish and Angelfish but the skin texture points to Pufferfish/Boxfish/Filefish.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. My top 2 contenders are Pseudobalistes fuscus and Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis.

     

    Really hard to work out what orientation the fish is in, in relation to the rayed fin at the top right. Can you remember where the head and tail are?

    Edited by Nick Hope
  4. From memory its the latter of your guesses Jim, I thought it was some type of filefish or trunkfish perhaps

     

    The heads on the right where its pectoral fin is..I think!

     

     

    It started as a game, but didnt realise I had no more shots of it and was that hard!

     

    I dont recall it being a triggerfish or angel at all Nick, thanks

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  5. I'm putting my money on some type of filefish

  6. Sorry, thanks Nick :)

  7. Lol you're welcome. I should have stated juvenile, or at least youngish, but a Google Images search for that species throws up loads of specimens coloured like this on the first page so I thought you'd find them pretty quick. The really really young ones are coloured differently.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.