Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Anglerfish ID

Started by Bent C ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Anglerfish ID

5 posts
  1. Hi

     

    First I thought that this was a spotfin anglerfish. However, the lure does not seem to fit the description of the lure of the spotfin. Does anyone recognize the quite characteristic lure on this one?

     

    Lembeh, around 7-10 meters, in seaweed. Size approximately 8-10 cm.

     

    Cheers Bent

     

    post-6658-0-31883500-1349607200_thumb.jpg

  2. I always thought these were a version of the Hairy frogfish. It is now thought to be a separate species (by Gerry Allen) due to the different esca shape. I have seen them at Lembeh Strait numerous times.

     

    Here is some info:

    http://www.seadb.net/en_Lembeh-frogfish-Antennarius-sp_861.htm

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-0-44022300-1349638168_thumb.jpg

    post-1116-0-34743000-1349638185_thumb.jpg

  3. By the way, your frogfish appears to have an aeolid nudibranch on it, just left and down from center. I would love to see a close up.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. Hi Marli

     

    Thanks, it sure looks like that's the one. I can not recall that I have seen it earlier, but this time this species was very common.

     

    You are correct about the nudi. These were also very common this visit. I will do an enlargement when I get the computer up and post it.

     

    Cheers

     

    Bent

  5. post-6658-0-40430200-1350047868_thumb.jpg

     

    Hi Marli

     

    I am not really sure that there is a lot more info in the enlargement of the nudi. It seems as if the nudi is just on the border of this sides dof, so not to good. I do not have a real, independent close up.

     

    Cheers Bent

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.