Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

March / April edition of DAN Alert Diver magazine

Started by tshepherd ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

March / April edition of DAN Alert Diver magazine

19 posts
  1. March / April edition of DAN Alert Diver magazine

    Here's a switch, rather than a photo TAKEN by Eric Cheng appearing in a magazine, it appears that there's a picture with Eric as the subject!

     

    On page 24 in an article titled "You don't have to be a Superman", there's a photo by David Haas of a group of divers in a shark cage. The primary subject is holding a S&S D60 housing with dual DS-125s, and is wearing Sitech dry gloves. Hard to tell for sure who it is with the little bit of face showing through the hood and reg, but it sure looks like Eric!

     

    Tom

  2. Tom and fellow Wetpixellians,

     

    Yes that's Eric in the corner, dive buddy Mike Greuter and famous photographer / naturalist "Kaz" Kazmirs in the back....Taken on the 2003 Great White shark trip I organized.

     

    Shot with a Nikon D100, Sigma 15mm lens and a single Ikelite DS125 strobe. ALSO, in Fine / Large JPEG with minor Adobe Elements 2.0 post processing. Photo on pages 46-47 was taken ages ago with my first digital system, a 3.3 megapixel Nikon CoolPix 990, WC-E24 wide angle adapter in Ikleite housing with one or two (can't remember) DS50 strobes. Can't coment on the water particles or subject matter (my brother and another friend) as this was a dirty day in Papua New Guinea, 2001, but still looks OK sharpness wise for a 3.3 megapixel camera.....

     

    Email any questions,

     

    David Haas

    Haas Photography Inc.

    davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

     

    Sample Images at:

    http://www.pbase.com/dhaas

  3. Dave - I don't remember signing a release!

     

    :)

     

    Hey -- can someone scan the thing and put it online? Or Dave -- can you post the photo here for us to see? ;)

  4. Eric,

     

    Finishing a project this morning on my laptop where the photo resides. Will see if I can upload it later today.

     

    I thought I sent you one of these previously? Will try and call you later....

     

    David Haas

    davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

  5. As requested...

     

    Photo by David Haas, article scanned from DAN Alert Diver March / April 2004.

  6. Tom - thanks for scanning!

     

    Dave - Great photo! I'm biased, of course. :)

     

    I'd love to have a copy of that in high-res for my archives. Whaddya think?

     

    I wonder where my issue went.

  7. That could be an expensive photo, it has been published Eric. Or shall I say Number 11? LOL

     

    Well done Dave!

  8. Expensive? Nothing is expensive if the subject hasn't signed a release form. :)

  9. Oops, I think I started something.

     

    I say swap a release for a picture and call it even then.

  10. Oops, I think I started something.

     

    I was starting to think the same think about posting about the article myself... :)

  11. I hereby give permission for David Haas to use that photo for any purpose.

     

    there! now... have fun. :)

     

    (the possibilites are endless....)

  12. BTW, The dome on that Sea & Sea housing looks pretty nice, huh?

     

    I also like that you can see the red L-glass stripe on the lens. :)

  13. I do like seeing the red stripe, nice touch, should send it to Canon.

     

    BTW Eric, I'm starting to feel like I'm copying you. Got the housing based on your experience, and just realized that the new dry gloves I bought a few weeks ago are the same as yours, or at least I think so. Now if only I can clone your talent and travel itins... hmmmm.... :roll:

  14. I'm working a desk job for two months. Wanna come fill in for me? :);):)

     

    Hey -- how far is Westfield from NYC? We should have a little Wetpixel gathering out here. Or... perhaps we can meet at Beneath the Sea, if you are going.

  15. I had a problem coming back to my job from 1 week in Mexico, a 2 month desk job must be killing you after being all over the place... :)

     

    Westfield is a train ride away from NYC, roughly 25 miles. I'm probably going to go to Beneath the Sea as well, so let me know when you're going to be in the area and we'll work something out.

  16. Guys,

     

    No worries between Eric and me on a photo exchange for photo usage. Editorial for a small industry mag is not something to worry about. I mainly help them as I feel every diver should get DAN insurance. One of those things you hope you don't need, but if you do it'll come in handy.

     

    I even have the Master plan as the wife and I are headed to Hong Kong March 22-29. No diving...Just an early graduation present as she finished her Bachelor's degree after 5 years of night school.....She's earned a break!

     

    Glad you guys liked the pic.

     

    David Haas

    davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

  17. Re: March / April edition of DAN Alert Diver magazine

    Here's a switch, rather than a photo TAKEN by Eric Cheng appearing in a magazine, it appears that there's a picture with Eric as the subject!

    Tom

     

    But to see a photo taken by Eric, see the April issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving. There is a lovely double page spread of one of Eric's spotted dolphin images, as well as a half page great white shark shot.

     

    BTW ... in that same DAN issue the cover shot is my daughter, 10 years old at the time. You think it is hard for Dave Haas to get a model release from Eric, you should try negotiating with my daughter!

     

    Congratulations Eric.

     

    Steve

  18. Steve,

     

    I bet you're a hard act to follow when your daughter has "career day" at school. :)

     

    Pete

  19. Thanks, Steve! I just received the magazine in the mail over the weekend. It looks great. (the entire issue, I mean -- not just my photos. :).

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.