Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Cowrie Id. please

Started by Luko ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Cowrie Id. please

5 posts
  1. Hi to all mollusc afficionados,

    could you pls help me identify this cowrie spotted on Seraya - Bali.

    Was strolling quite fast on a mucky environnement, 6m deep, more than 5cm long.

    I used to be a shell collector in my South Pacific youth (boooo! ) but couldn't recognize this one.

     

    Assessing the mantle color, I thought about Cypraea Cribaria, then i tried to get the mantle slightly uncovering the shell but didn't recognize anything, certainly not the distinctive white cribbling of the cribaria, it was a more indefinite pattern shell.

     

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

     

    8130605316_684b346fc5_z.jpg

  2. Have you looked at www.poppe-images.com? They're the best image resource for IP molluscs.

     

    My two top choices are both species of the cypraeid genus Talostolida:

    Talostolida pellucens - http://www.poppe-ima...&photoid=974676

    Talostolida teres - http://www.poppe-ima...ostolida teres

     

    I'll send it to our mollusc collecton manager who is a cowry researcher & see what he has to say.

    Edited by Leslie
  3. Thanks Leslie,

     

    i didn't know about Poppe-images, thanks for the link.

    Indeed both of them look good from the shell color and pattern, I first wrote it looked like a Errones shell but was afraid to be terribly wrong.

  4. I just heard back from Lindsey Groves, our cowry-loving CM. Blasicrura teres pelluscens (Melvill, 1888). Apparently there's a lot of disagreement among specialists about correct names. He prefers the genus name Blasicrura rather than Tolostolida and considers pelluscens to be a subspecies of teres but agrees that's what it probably is.

    Edited by Leslie
  5. Many thanks!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.