Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Bali octopus. Could it be a mosaic ?

Started by jim21 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Bali octopus. Could it be a mosaic ?

5 posts
  1. I saw this octopus in 2m of water during the day.

    Searching online the nearest I can come up with is the mosaic.

    It did display a disc like pattern before I could get a photo, then it was a bit fluffy texture with pinkish colouring.

     

    Thanks for any ID help.

    post-34362-0-12057400-1351569850_thumb.jpg

    post-34362-0-25605600-1351574260_thumb.jpg

    Edited by jim21
  2. looks more like the Algae octo to me.. but i don't have any books with me to give you the latin name for that one. But I don't think its the mosaic

  3. Thanks Mike,

     

    It could be but it displayed very marked blotches before the photo was taken and the Algae octopus seems to be a lot more filamented not just on the head ?

    I could not attach a photo here so I edited in another above that is not as clear but shows the blotches fading away.

  4. Thanks Mike,

     

    It could be but it displayed very marked blotches before the photo was taken and the Algae octopus seems to be a lot more filamented not just on the head ?

    I could not attach a photo here so I edited in another above that is not as clear but shows the blotches fading away.

     

    The Algae can go from smooth to filamented and everything in-between in less than a second, so it's hard to say it's not an Algae just by the skin texture. I have a video here showing it's different skin textures. The 'hair' are skin flaps that the octopus can form...it's called 'papillation' apparently :)

  5. Nice video liquidguru.

     

    It really demonstrates the skin change !

    Octopus are so fasinating, it is interesting how body posture and method of movement can be useful for ID.

    I sometimes see mototi and they also have a special (unique?) way that can ID them even before they display the 2 blue rings.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.