Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Finally a new Nikon FX Fisheye lens at the horizon?

Started by Udo van Dongen ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Finally a new Nikon FX Fisheye lens at the horizon?

11 posts
  1. just a rumor of course, because the 16 mm Nikkor Fishey is only discontinued in 2 Romanian photo shops... But at least a tiny sparkle of hope that something new is coming.

     

    http://nikonrumors.c...d-of-life.aspx/

     

    Hopefully it's going to be a 15-26 mm FE zoom with a closest focus of 12 cm....

     

    Udo

  2. Wouldn't that be nice? Hope they don't copy the Canon 8-15 if they do make a fisheye zoom.

  3. :-)

  4. Two days ago I ordered a Nikkor 16m and Sigma 15mm to B&H Photo (Alex, you could´nt help me to make my mind!) to pair with my brand new D4 (yes, Alex you HELPED me with that one! wink.png )

     

    Imagine how happy I am now! Luckily, rumors are just rumours, aren´t they? biggrin.png

    Edited by Pedro Carrillo
  5. Imagine how happy I am now! Luckily, rumors are just rumours, aren´t they? biggrin.png

     

    Well, i hope this rumor is going to be true. The 16 mm Nikon is a very old lens and Nikon has a reputation of special fisheyelenses to keep up... fingers crossed that they're not going to copy Canon's the 8-15 mm..

  6. Wouldn't that be nice? Hope they don't copy the Canon 8-15 if they do make a fisheye zoom.

     

    why is that ?

  7. why is that ?

    For me the 8-15 range would not be as useful as a 15-26 which is the FX equivalent of a 10-17. I have no real need for circular fisheye - as I can always create the look in post on the occasion that it would be useful.

    I find that with the 10-17 I frequently use the 15-17 mm end for an ultrawide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle view but with much less pronounced fisheye distortion, so it's the 23-25 end of an FX fisheye lens that would have the most appeal, of course with very close focus ability.

    8-15 would be more versatile in the sense that it can be used on DX and FX, but I already have the 10-17 for DX.

    Edited by loftus
  8. thanks for the explanation. I dont use a full frame, so i was thinking of the 8-15 as a posh version of the 10-17mm

  9. I agree with Jeff - the circular fisheye is a gimmick lens really. On a full frame camera, the Canon lens is wasted as a zoom really. Plus you have to dive with a dome with no shades.

    I do have a circular fisheye and yes the images do well for me (despite the fact it doesn't fit properly in the Nauticam D7000 housing - because of the lens release lever - so I have to use it on fixed focus). But I could live without it.

     

    If it is a zoom, then much better as a 16-28mm fisheye zoom. Than a 8-16mm. Personally I wasn't expecting a zoom, but then all of Nikon's other wide angle lenses are zooms. But I'd prefer a prime lens, but happy with either.

     

    Alex

  10. Well, i hope this rumor is going to be true. The 16 mm Nikon is a very old lens and Nikon has a reputation of special fisheyelenses to keep up... fingers crossed that they're not going to copy Canon's the 8-15 mm..

     

    I am with you Udo, I´ll keep my fingers crossed but just remember that we need it does not automatically mean it will be updated; the micro range comes to my mind (200mm, 70-180...)

  11. The optimal fish eye zoom for digital full frame already existed in the analogical age, that distant age were the cameras used films, was the Pentax 17-28mm f3,5-4,5 fish eye with an angle from 180º to 100º. Preferently Nikon should make a equivalent fish eye zoom for full frame, but third alternative could be Tokina or Sigma.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.